Biographical Sketch of Alexander C. Hodson (1906-1996)
Alexander Carlton Hodson, B.S. University of Massachusetts (1928); M.A. (1931) and Ph.D. (1935) University of Minnesota. Teaching Assistant (1928-1931), Instructor (1931-1938), Assistant Professor (1938-1943), Associate Professor (1943-1947), Professor (1947-1974), Head, Department of Entomology and Economic Zoology, later Department of Entomology, Fisheries and Wildlife (1960-1974) at the University of Minnesota.
Alexander C. Hodson was born in Reading, Massachusetts June 17, 1906. He received a B.S. from the University of Massachusetts in 1928 and an M.A. in zoology (1931) and a Ph.D. in entomology (1935) from the University of Minnesota.
In 1928, he began his teaching career at the University of Minnesota as a Teaching Assistant in the Department of Zoology and moved up through the academic ranks being named an Instructor in the Department of Entomology and Economic Zoology in 1931, Assistant Professor in 1938, Associate Professor in 1943, and Professor in 1947. In addition to his duties as a full-time faculty member and his research as a noted specialist in insect ecology, Professor Hodson served as head of the Department of Entomology and Economic Zoology and Department of Entomology, Fisheries and Wildlife from 1960 until his retirement in 1974.
Professor Hodson was elected Fellow and Honorary Member of the Entomological Society of America and Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He received Distinguished Service Awards from the Minnesota Academy of Science and the honor societies of Sigma Xi and Gamma Sigma Delta.
At the University of Minnesota, he was selected to lead and be a member of numerous campus committees, including the University Press Advisory Committee, St. Paul Campus Landscape Committee, and advisory committees for the University’s Itasca and Cedar Creek field stations. In 1976, the University’s Entomology, Fisheries and Wildlife building was named Hodson Hall in honor of Professor Hodson.
Alexander Hodson died March 13, 1996 in Roseville, Minnesota.