Alan Arkin Papers

Collection
Identifier: CLRC-1145
The Alan Arkin Collection contains written production material for one title from 1972, including typescripts and corrected galley proofs.

Dates

• 1971, undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials.

Extent

1 Folders

Overview

Biographical Sketch

In March of 1934, Alan Wolf Arkin was born in New York to David and Beatrice Arkin, Russian-German Jewish intellects. First attended Los Angeles City College in 1951-1952, followed by a year at Los Angeles State College and finally transferred to Bennington College in 1953. Arkin was a member of a folksinging group called "The Tarriers", that found success across the country touring college campus. Realizing he was displeased with the direction of his life in the group, he retired and began pursuing theatrical work. For the next twenty years, Arkin mastered the theatrical parlance and could be found on all side of the production. In 1972, his first children's book was published, Tony's Hard Work Day. He went on to compose four pieces of work, including an autobiography. Arkin was continuously on a philosophical journey, questioning the demarcation of what is and what is not. He writes, "I used to just question my existence all the time. I guess a lot of people do - it's the 20th century disease, you know, who am I? Well, I don't ask anymore. I don't wake up in the morning and say, who am I? What do I have to do to feel like I'm alive? I already know I'm alive, and since I already know, I don't have to ask."

Biographical source: Something About the Author. Volume 59, 1990.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated by the author in 1972.

Creator

Title
Alan Arkin Collection
Status
completed
Author
Sharlene Murphy
Date
2004
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Children's Literature Research Collections Repository

Contact:
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library