Skip to main content

American Fund for Czechoslovak Refugees, (New York, New York) records

 Collection
Identifier: IHRC171
Records consist of organizational correspondence, meeting minutes, annual reports and case files produced by the New York headquarters, and also materials generated by the AFCR field offices both in the United States and in Europe. In addition to the assistance provided to refugees from the former Czechoslovakia, the records include documentation of the AFCR resettlement work with refugees from Southeast Asia in late 1970's and 1980's.

Dates

  • 1948-1990

Creator

Language of Materials

Czech and English

ACCESS RESTRICTIONS

Case files contained in the entire collection can be accessed by interested researchers upon obtaining permission from the IHRC Curator following the Center’s standard procedure for applying for permission to research case files containing private information. This arrangement applies to the entire collection of the AFCR Records at the IHRC.

OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

For further information regarding the copyright, please contact the IHRCA.

Extent

90 Linear Feet

HISTORICAL SKETCH

The American Fund for Czechoslovak Refugees (New York, N.Y.) was formed in 1948 following the Communist coup in Czechoslovakia. Its purpose was to help refugees with their immediate needs and to aid in their resettlement in and all aspects of adjustment to their new homes. It was founded with the help of Jan Papanek and its first chairman was Dr. James T. Shotwell of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. The American Fund for Czechoslovak Refugees established working relationships with other relief organizations such as the International Refugee Organization and was recognized by the United States Department of Defense as a voluntary agency. It was staffed mostly by volunteers and assisted by organizations such as the Czechoslovak National Council of America. It was active in a number of states and also had offices abroad. In late 1970's and 1980's the AFCR was involved also in resettlement work with refugees from Souhteast Asia. After the fall of the communist regime in Czechoslovakia in 1989, the organization changed its name to American Fund for Czechoslovak Relief and has since been supporting humanitarian projects in the Czech republic and Slovakia and providing assistance to Czech and Slovak students and scholars in their research in the United States.

PROVENANCE

Collection acquired in two incremements. Case files and general correspondence for the years 1950-1970 (25 linear feet) were donated to the IHRC by Dr. Jan Papanek, founder and president of the organization, in 1976. In 2004, the remaining portion of the ACFR archival materials was transferred to the IHRC with the approval of the Board of Directors and the current president of the organization, Mr. Vojtech Jerabek.
Author
IHRC Archives
Language of description
Finding Aid in English

Repository Details

Part of the Immigration History Research Center Archives Repository

Contact:

612-625-4800