HISTORY OF YMCA OF METROPOLITAN MINNEAPOLIS AND ITS AFFILIATED ORGANIZATIONS
The YMCA of Metropolitan Minneapolis has a long and established history of forming relationships with other social service-related organizations, to the benefit of the communities they serve. In 1883, the Ladies Furnishing Committee, later known as the Ladies Auxiliary, was an extra-constitutional organization formed to furnish the Minneapolis Y's rented space headquarters in the Syndicate Block of downtown Minneapolis. Beyond fund-raising, participants also served as hostesses for social receptions, coordinated events, and provided "a feminine perspective" for the male-dominated YMCA Minneapolis.
The Sunday School Athletic League, later known as the Minneapolis Church Athletic Association, was organized in 1907, resulting from collaboration between the YMCA Minneapolis and local church councils from each of the six districts. While these were church associations, the YMCA Minneapolis was instrumental in their formation, and several integral YMCA officers served as executives. The organization's goal was to "provide wholesome 'through-the-week' Sunday school-related activities for boys and young men." Clifford T. Booth, the physical director of the YMCA Minneapolis from 1903 to 1912, was instrumental in the day-to-day running of the association, as was his successor, Frank C. Berry.
According to the 1925 Constitution, the Minneapolis Church Athletic Association "recognizes all amateur athletic sports and games, and maintains jurisdiction over the same in the Churches which are members of the Association". The objects of the Association were 1) to develop the Christian character of the boys and young men in the churches and Sunday schools of Minneapolis, 2) to maintain a high standard of honesty, courtesy, and manliness in athletic sports, 30 to encourage systematic physical exercise and education within the Sunday schools and churches, 4) to secure and maintain a uniform amateur basis in inter-church sports 5) to establish and maintain uniform rules for the government of all athletic sports, 6) to institute, regulate and award inter-church athletic championships, 7) to promote recreative activities for the members of the churches and Sunday schools, and 8) to affiliate by allegiance with organizations of special or general jurisdiction, composed of units wholly or partly devoted to physical education.
Minneapolis Y-Wives was a service organization in Minneapolis comprised of the wives of the administrative staff of the YMCA Minneapolis, devoted to stimulating growth and broadening interest among members through fellowship, informal education and service projects for the Minneapolis Y. The Minneapolis organization was one of a wide network of Y-Wives service organizations, as there were such groups all across the Y footprint, both nationally and internationally. The Y-Wives purpose statement was "to unite everywhere in a world wide bond of friendship and service; to provide an opportunity for them to share their thoughts; their talents; their various experiences; to contribute to the YMCA through understanding and spiritual support of Y families."
The Y's Men International/Y Service Clubs International is a nondenominational service club partnering with local YMCAs on an international scale, to serve their local communities. It was founded in 1922 in Toledo, Ohio by Judge Paul William Alexander.
(Information taken from Breaking New Ground, Building Strong Lives: 140 Years of Youth Work with the Minneapolis YMCA by Paul Hillmer, 2006; from Builders of Men: A History of the Minneapolis Young Men's Christian Association: 1866-1936by S. Wirt Wiley and Florence Lehmann; and from the collection).