The collection consists of 100 8 x 10" black and white photographs by Jerome Liebling (Department of Art, University of Minnesota), for the book, A Century of Minnesota Architecture,by Donald Torbert (Minneapolis: Minneapolis Society of Fine Arts, 1958). Fifty structures, dating from the early 1850s through the 1950s are pictured, including banks, churches, residences, commercial buildings, and schools. The majority of the photographs are of Minneapolis and St. Paul architecture; the remainder documents the architecture of other Minnesota communities, such as Owatonna, Rochester, and Duluth.
Twin Cities area buildings represented in the collection are the Minnesota Territorial Capitol (1851) and the present State Capitol (1896); the Alexander Ramsey house (St. Paul) (1872); Henry Sibley house (Mendota, MN) (1835); and the Cathedral of St. Paul (1905-1915). Other state buildings pictured are the National Farmers Bank (Owatonna) (1907-1908); Mayo Clinic (Rochester) (1926-1928); and the Kirk Building (Duluth) (1902).