Skip to main content

A. Moorman and Company collection

Identifier: N56
The collection consists of the plans for the First National Bank of Coleraine, Minnesota (1972), typical of the later small-town bank designs of the company.


  • 1972


Language of Materials


Restrictions on Access

Available for use in the Manuscripts Division reading room. Advance notice is requested.

Restrictions on Use

There are no restrictions on the use of materials in this collection. Copies can be requested if the condition of the originals warrants it.


0.5 Cubic Feet


Collection contains the plans for the First National Bank of Coleraine, Minnesota, designed by A. Moorman and Company.

Biographical Note

Albert Moorman was born in Germany in 1860 and emigrated to the U.S. with his family in about 1864, settling in Chicago. He was raised and educated in the public schools in that city. He became an apprentice woodcarver at the age of 12 and worked on the Iowa State Capitol in this capacity a number of years later. In 1905 he started a furniture company in St. Paul, then moved into the design of banking fixtures and interiors. This led his firm to begin designing and building small banks throughout the Midwest, and eventually it became one of the most successful designers of small-town banks in the region. At one time, they held 30% of the business of the Northwestern National Bancorporation of Minneapolis. In 1927, the company was employed to remodel the famous National Farmers Bank of Owatonna, designed by Louis H. Sullivan in 1907-1908. Moorman died in 1927 in St. Paul and the practice was continued by his sons Frank and Al and partners E.A. Tyler and Kindy C. Wright. The firm ceased operations in the late 1970s.

Physical Location

High Bay

Additional Finding Aid

An unpublished finding aid with detailed contents is available in the Manuscripts Division.

Related Material

See the Wesley G. Wells papers (N 47) for Kindy Wright buildings.
A. Moorman and Company collection
Archives Staff
Description rules
Language of description

Repository Details

Part of the Northwest Architectural Archives Repository