Delta Lambda Phi Records
Scope and Content
The Delta Lambda Phi records (1987-2003) are composed of administrative records (constitution and by-laws and financial records), fraternity newsletters, newspapers, correspondence, photo albums, plaques, clothing, paddles, CD-R's and banners. Coverage is given to subjects specific to GLBT representaion and equality on and off of college campuses, fraternity life, and events such as Pride and March on Washington.
- Creation: 1987-2003
- Delta Lambda Phi National Social Fraternity. (Organization)
Language of Materials
Restrictions on Access
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only. Materials will be retrieved from and returned to storage areas by staff members.
Restrictions on Use
Please contact staff regarding copyright status of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under fair use provisions of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).
Delta Lambda Phi was established in 1986 as a fraternity for gay, bisexual and progressive men. After realizing the limited social opportunities for gay men, Vernon L. Strickland III along with three other gay gentlemen decided to create Delta Lambda Phi in Washington D.C. and recruitment of the first pledge class began in 1987. The fraternity was an opportunity for gay men to promote a positive image among members and the community as well as provide a social and communal network and the main goals of the organization are as follows:
1) To develop dignified and purposeful, social, service, and recreational activities, for progressive men irrespective of sexual orientation
2) To lead in determining the rights and privileges of individuals in society
3) To present a strong and positive image, which respects the diversity of all individuals irrespective of sexual orientation
A local chapter at the University of Minnesota, led by John Sugimura, emerged in 1988 and the fraternities have participated in several activities and movements such as Pride Festivals and March on Washington.
9.67 Linear Feet
The collection contains official records and ephemera of the University of Minnesota campus chapter of Delta Lambda Phi fraternity.
The materials have been largely arranged by subject matter and date.
- University of Minnesota (Organization)
- March on Washington for Lesbian, Gay, and Bi Equal Rights and Liberation (1993: Washington, D.C.) (Organization)
- Delta Lambda Phi records, 1987-2003
- Jordan Burrell
- February 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English