Tretter Collection Flat Files
Scope and Content
The Tretter Collection Flat Files contain original and reproduced artwork, framed artwork, posters and ads (framed, foam core and plastic-backed), banners, exhibit boards, newspapers, and photography. Most heavily represented in the collection are topics relating to HIV/AIDS and Sexual Health, Events and Fundraisers, Pride Festivals, Social Justice and Equality, Support Networks and Allies, Abuse/Violence/Homophobia, Film, German Language and Political Action/Advocacy. Notable people in the collection include artists, donors and figures such as Lisa Albrecht, Boudykke, Marc DeBauch, Scott Dibble, Stuart Ferguson, Douglass Dean Goodman, Robert (Bob) Jansen, Robert Johnson, Tobias Schneebaum, and Patrick Scully. Unique items in the collection include a textile jacket by Billy Bowers, Tom of Finland lithographic prints (not originals) and original Boudykke, Gwill, and DeBauch pieces.
- Creation: 1920-2012, undated
- Aggregate (Organization)
Language of Materials
English, German, Russian, French, Maori
Restrictions on Access
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only. Materials will be retrieved from and returned to storage areas by staff members.
For access to digital representations of materials, please contact the Curator for additional information.
Restrictions on Use
Please contact staff regarding copyright status of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under fair use provisions of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).
Materials obtained by a series of donors including Robert (Bob) Jansen, Robert Johnson, Stuart Ferguson, Roger Arvid Anderson, Quatrefoil library, OutFront MN, University of Minnesota and more. These and other major donors are listed in both Series 1 of the collection and the related materials section below. Professionally collected and curated by Jean-Nickolaus Tretter.
60 Linear Feet
The Tretter Collection Flat Files comprise posters, art work (framed and foam core), promotional banners in various mediums, and textiles donated singly and in bulk by a variety of donors.
The Tretter Collection Flat Files are primarily arranged by donor with an outlier group arranged by subject matter.
- Series 1: Documented Collections, 1921-2010
- Series 2: Named Donors, Institutions, and/or People, 1985-2011
- Series 3: Topical Areas, 1859-2010
Source of acquisition
Materials within the collection were donated singly and in bulk by a variety of donors. In some cases, these were the only items donated, whereas others were originally part of a larger accession or collection (e.g. OutFront MN).
The collection has been processed by Jordan Burrell and the efforts have been supported in part with funds provided by the State of Minnesota from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the Minnesota Historical Society.
- Scully, Patrick, 1953- (Person)
- Zemsky, Beth L. (Person)
- OutFront Minnesota (Organization) (Organization)
- Gay and Lesbian Community Action Council (Minn.) (Organization)
- Minnesota AIDS Project (Organization)
- Lesbian and Gay Bands of America (Organization)
- Out-and-About Theatre (Organization)
- March on Washington for Lesbian, Gay, and Bi Equal Rights and Liberation (1993: Washington, D.C.) (Organization)
- Tretter Collection Flat Files, 1920-2012
- Jordan Burrell, Amanda Wick
- January 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English