Sara Jorde Photographs

Collection
Identifier: Tretter: 506

Scope and Contents

Black and white prints, negatives, and slides created by GLBTQ+ Twin Cities photographer Sara Jorde. Subjects include gay Black filmmakers Marlon Riggs (photographed in Minneapolis, 10/3/1991) and Issac Julien (photographed at the Uptown Theater, 11/1991); the gay Black poet Essex Hemphill (photographed 10/1990); the white Minnesota-born lesbian film scholar Jenni Olson; Professor Don Belton (photographed 1992); the Twin Cities Pride Festival, 1987; and the 1987 March on Washington.This material is minimally processed, but can still be viewed by researchers.

Dates

• 1987 - 1992

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Biographical / Historical

Sara Jorde was one of the first openly GLBTQ+ commercial photographers in Minneapolis. She worked in the industry for over thirty years. Her commercial work focused mainly on shooting portraits for corporate and editorial use.

Her early personal work was focused around documenting my beloved GLBTQ+community. She writes: "I was honored to shoot portraits of two of my heroes Essex Hemphill and Marlon Riggs. I attended the GLBTQ+ March on Washington in 1987 and 1993 where I shot editorial style photography. At the 1987 March on Washington I was fortunate enough to photograph Technical Sergeant Leonard Maltovich, in Arlington Cemetery. I positioned him next to his now famous head stone which reads: 'A Gay Vietnam Veteran - When I was in the military-I was given a medal for killing two men, and a discharge for loving one'."

My hope is that these images will provide current and future generations access to explore and learn more about how rich and diverse our collective GLBTQ+ history is."

Extent

1 box (1 Hollinger box)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

This collection contains photographs created by GLBTQ+ Twin Cities photographer Sara Jorde. Subjects include gay Black filmmakers Marlon Riggs (photographed in Minneapolis, 10/3/1991) and Issac Julien (photographed at the Uptown Theater, 11/1991); the gay Black poet Essex Hemphill (photographed 10/1990); the white Minnesota-born lesbian film scholar Jenni Olson; Professor Don Belton (photographed 1992); the Twin Cities Pride Festival, 1987; and the 1987 March on Washington.
Status
Unprocessed
Author
Rachel Mattson and Eliza Edwards
Date
May 2021
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Jean Nickolaus Tretter Collection in GLBT Studies Collecting Area

Contact: