Skip to main content

Cloquet Forestry Center records

 Collection — Box: 13
Identifier: ua00341

Scope and Content

The collection consists of the records of the Cloquet Forestry Center during the administrations of William H. Kenety (1912-1921), G.H. Wiggin (1921-1923) and Theodore Schantz-Hansen (1923-1960). The best continuous historical sources for station activities is found in the correspondence with the various directors of the School or Division of Forestry, the Department of Agriculture, and the U.S. Forest Service. Of note are the papers of Raphael Zon, who served as director of the Lake States Forest Experiment Station, St. Paul campus, and the Cloquet Forestry Center from 1923-1928, and E.G. Cheyney (1912-1930, 1939, 1947), Dean of the College of Forestry from 1910 to 1925. These files contain administrative material regarding all facets of Station activities.

One of the largest activities completed by the Forestry Center was the Windbreak Project. The Experiment Station employed Sidney Burton as an inspector on the Project (1921-1928) and his letter of March 16, 1926 provides a report.

Much of the early correspondence (1911-1926) consists of requests for trees. Cooperative research projects with the University's Department of Horticulture may also be found in the collection. The Photographs series includes photographs from historical photo albums compiled by center staff including images circa 1912-1930s of the center site and general Cloquet area.


  • circa 1910s-1986


Language of Materials

Collection materials in English

Use of Materials

Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.


Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives.

Historical Note

In 1909, University of Minnesota professor Samuel B. Green helped secure federal and state legislation along with private funding and support from Cloquet-area lumber companies to permit the federal government to deed approximately 2,000 acres of “unallotted Indian land” directly to the University for a Forestry Station outside Cloquet. The Forestry Station, which opened in 1910, was managed under the Department of Forestry, which was an academic unit of the University’s Department of Agriculture. D. P. Tierney was named the first administrator of the Forestry Station.

The original purpose of the Forestry Station was experimental work, and the first research project began in 1911 to study broadcast sowing on cut-over areas using a variety of site preparation techniques.

At their May 6, 1912, meeting, the University Board of Regents voted to recommend name changes for schools and stations under the charge of the Department of Agriculture, and the Station’s name was changed to Forest Experiment Station, Cloquet.

Undergraduate field instruction in forestry was conducted at the University’s field station at Itasca State Park, but between 1924 and 1927, class field training for forestry students was transferred from Itasca to the Forest Experiment Station at Cloquet.

From the 1920s to the 1970s, the Station at Cloquet was known by different names, including Forest Experiment Station, Experimental Forest, and Cloquet Forest Research Center.

In 1970, the facility was renamed the Cloquet Forestry Center to indicate its considerably broadened mission, according to the 1970-1972 University President’s Report. The Center was organized as a field unit of the University’s College of Forestry. It was used in training College of Forestry undergraduate students and by graduate students needing a forested environment for their studies. The Center served as a continuing education facility for groups interested in forestry studies (secondary teachers, professional foresters, loggers, etc.) and provided environmental education field days for elementary school students. Demonstration areas included all aspects of forest establishment, management, harvest, and utilization. Aerial and forest surveys, wildlife, hydrology, recreation, and forest protection also were covered in the Center’s continuing education programs.

Research projects have included climate and air quality, ecology, entomology, genetics, mensuration, pathology, physiology, silviculture, soils, vegetation management, and wildlife.


  1. D.P. Tierney, Administrator, 1909-1911
  2. S.B. Detwiler, Administrator, 1911-1912
  3. W.H. Kenety, Administrator, 1912-1921
  4. G. H. Wiggin, Administrator, 1921-1923
  5. Thorvald Schantz-Hansen, Director, 1923-1960
  6. Bruce. A. Brown, Acting Director and Director, 1960-1974
  7. Zig Zasada, Acting Director, 1974-1975
  8. Alvin R. Hallgren, Coordinator, 1975-1987
  9. Alvin Alm, Acting Coordinator, 1987-1988
  10. A. Scott Reed, Coordinator, 1988-1991
  11. Robert A. Stine, Coordinator, 1991-2007


16 Cubic Feet (15 boxes (11 Paige; 2 oversize boxes; 2 hollingers))


The collection consists of the records of the Cloquet Forestry Center during the administrations of William H. Kenety (1912-1921), G.H. Wiggin (1921-1923) and Theodore Schantz-Hansen (1923-1960).


Only a representative sampling of requests for trees and planting advice was retained. Other routine material not retained includes correspondence regarding supplies and pay checks. Gaps are evident in the collection; the greatest occurs from the 1930s to 1940s when no outgoing letters were found in collection. Correspondence is grouped together in alphabetical order (box 2-5).

Materials relating to the Biological Sessions conducted by Schantz-Hansen were moved to the Itasca Biology Station collection.

Source of acquisition

The collection was transferred to University Archives from the College of Natural Resources. An accession of historical photograph albums was transferred by center staff and incorporated into the collection in 2019.

Related Materials in University Archives

College of Forestry Records

Itasca Biological Station and Laboratories Records

Processing Information

This collection was processed with funds provided by the State of Minnesota through the Minnesota Historical Society from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund.

Please help us improve access to the archival collections - take our five question survey

Cloquet Forestry Center Records, 1910-1986
Archives Staff; updated by Karen Spilman
April 2004
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English

Revision Statements

  • April 2011: Collection processed by Susan Hoffman and Valerie MacDonald. EAD updated by Valerie MacDonald and Karen Spilman
  • March 2019: Photograph series added after new accession
  • January 2020: Photograph albums added after new accession
  • May 2023: Reports and Photograph album added after new accession

Collecting Area Details

Contact The University Archives Collecting Area