School of Nursing records
Scope and Content
This collection contains the records of the School of Nursing. These include correspondence (1920-1990), scrapbooks and minutes of the various nursing committees, including the Undergraduate Council, Curriculum Development and Evaluation Committee (CDEC), doctoral committees, Long Range Planning Council and Graduate Faculty Committee. Grant materials and curriculum materials are also included in the collection.
- University of Minnesota. School of Nursing (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives.
The University of Minnesota School of Nursing is the first continuing nursing school on a university campus in the United States. On October 1, 1908, the University of Minnesota Board of Regents authorized the establishment of a nursing program as part of the University's curriculum. The school opened in March 1909, graduating its first class in 1912. In 1919, a five-year program leading to a baccalaureate degree in nursing began.
Specialized baccalaureate programs were established in the fields of nursing education (1922) and nursing administration (1955). These specialized programs were phased out in the early 1960s with the establishment, in 1962, of a general nursing program for registered nurses and a four-year generic baccalaureate program.
The first professional graduate programs at the master's level were initiated in 1950 and 1951. These programs were phased out as master's degree programs in nursing were developed and offered through the Graduate School beginning in 1962. A Ph.D. program was implemented in 1983.
81.0 Cubic Feet (81)
Collection contains the records of the School of Nursing at the University of Minnesota.
Collection has not been processed.
- Beard, Richard Olding, 1856-1936
- Densford, Katharine J. (Katharine Jane), 1890-
- Edwardson, Sandra R.
- Fahy, Ellen T.
- Gray, James, 1899-
- Nursing -- Minnesota. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Nursing -- Study and teaching -- Minnesota. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Nursing schools -- Minnesota. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Powell, Louise M.
- Ramey, Irene G., 1921-1979
- Roach, Mabel L.
- Vannier, Marion L.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Medical care Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- School of Nursing Records, 1920-1994
- Archives Staff; updated by Karen Spilman
- updated February 2005
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English