Mabelle G. McCullough papers
Scope and Content
Dr. McCullough's career at the University of Minnesota spanned more than 30 years, but only a small portion of this collection pertains to her activities here. A large part of the collection pertains to Dr. McCullough's work with women's groups including the American Association of University Women (AAUW) (1961-1979) and the Governor's Commission on the Status of Women (1963-1966).
Aside from professional organizations represented in the papers, other activities include The Saint Andrews Society of Minnesota, (an organization of people of Scottish descent) and the Shoreview Planning Commission and City Council, to which Dr. McCullough was elected in 1968 and 1977 respectively.
One folder of personal correspondence (1962-1979) gives us a glimpse of Dr. McCullough's personal life, which involved being a "foster mom" to several Iranian students in the 1960s and 70s, caring for her aging father, and dealing with health concerns of her own.
- McCullough, Mabelle G., 1914-1980 (Person)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Requests for permission to quote from the Mabelle G. McCullough papers should be arranged with the head of the University of Minnesota Archives.
Biographical Sketch of Mabelle G. McCullough (1914-1980)
Mabelle G. McCullough was born on February 17, 1914 in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa. She worked as an office manager for McCullough Transfer in Mt. Pleasant from 1935-43 and obtained a B.A. degree from Iowa Wesleyan College in 1943. She obtained a Master of Arts in Religious Education from Yale University in 1945. From 1945-49 she did post-graduate work in Educational Psychology at the University of Minnesota, during which time she served as Associate Director of the Wesley Foundation on the St. Paul Campus.
Dissatisfied with career possibilities in the church she turned to educational administration, obtaining an Ed.D. degree in Guidance and Student Personnel Administration from Columbia University in 1956. She was hired at the University of Minnesota's Student Housing Bureau in 1949, and within four months was named its Acting Director. Later, she became Director, a position she held for 17 years (1949-66). In 1956 she was named Assistant Professor of Education, and in 1966 she became Assistant Dean of Students and Associate Professor of Education, a position she held until her death. In addition to her work in education administration, Dr. McCullough was a certified consulting psychologist from 1962-1975.
Besides her duties as a University Administrator, Dr. McCullough was also involved in various professional organizations. These included the American Association of University Women (AAUW), (including the Minnesota Division), and the Governor's Commission on the Status of Women.
In 1967, as a member of the AAUW, she served on the Committee on Standards in Higher Education, and from 1969-73, she served as its Chairman. She was also a member of its Board of Directors, from 1969-73. As a member of the Committee on Standards in Higher Education, she was instrumental in developing a survey that revealed the status of women at academic institutions. As a result of that survey, she helped establish guidelines for achieving gender equality in the academic community.
As a member of the Minnesota Division of AAUW, she chaired the Committee for the Study of Financing Public Education. The Committee developed a study kit, which was distributed to the various branches of AAUW throughout the state.
Dr. McCullough died of cancer on October 12, 1980 at the age of 66.
4 boxes (2.08 linear ft.)
The collection contains the papers of Mabelle McCullough, associate professor of Education and Assistant Dean of Students at the University of Minnesota.
The collection is arranged by the following general subjects: Women's Organizations, Education, University of Minnesota, and Personal.
- Affirmative action programs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- American Association of University Women
- Association of College and University Housing Officers
- Beeman, Alice
- Children Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College teachers -- Salaries, etc Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Council on International Educational Exchange
- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dolan, Eleanor
- Essays. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Governors Commission on the States of Women
- International Federation of University Women
- International education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jierree, Linda
- McCullough, Mabelle G., 1914-1980
- Memorandums Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Minnesota. Human Rights Committee on Sexual Stereotypes in Education
- Minutes Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Moos, Malcolm, 1916-1982
- National Council of Administrative Women in Education
- Newsletters. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reconstruction (1939-1951) Europe Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Religion in Education Foundation
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Saint Andrew's Society
- Sasnett, J. Randolph
- Sasnett, Martena
- Shoreview City Council and Planning Commission
- Speeches, addresses, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stedman, Rose Edith
- Student housing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Students, Foreign Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University and colleges -- Religion Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Williamson, E.G. (Edmund Griffith), 1900-1979
- Women Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Inventory of the Mabelle G. McCullough papers, 1948, 1959-1979
- Karen Klinkenberg; updated by Karen Spilman
- March 1993; updated April 2004
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note