College of Education records
Scope and Content
Collection contents listed below are word documents only and are not on-line.
Collection 593 contains correspondence, workshop materials, papers regarding the Owatonna Art Project, minutes, reports, committee papers, materials regarding University High School and the education graduate school program, and educational policy and other administrative materials.
Collection 594 contains committee files (Box 1-3), Minnesota State Department of Education and Minnesota College of Education files (Box 4), University High School and Graduate School files (Box 5), Owatonna Art Project (Box 6-7), President's office correspondence (Box 7-8).
Collection 595 contains the records of Robert Beck's College of Education History, Beyond Pedagogy, (Box 1-5).
Collection 596 contains correspondence files of University presidents, James Lewis Morrill, 1948-1960; O. Meredith Wilson, 1960-1967; Malcolm Moos, 1967-1974; C. Peter Magrath, 1974-1979. (1 Box).
Collection 597 contains Graduate School program reviews in child psychology (1984), physical education (1977), music (1977), educational psychology (1978). (1 Box).
Collection 2006-40 of the College of Education and Human Development (1999-2006) contains administrative council files and files of the following committees: academic affairs educational policy, academic uses of technology, civic engagement and service, diversity, council on teacher education, international education, research, senate and senate consultative, and student scholastic standing (1 Box).
Collection 2013-0050 contains annual and decade reports on admissions to and course registrations in the college, issued by the college's Student Personnel Office, which subsequently because the Career Development Office in 1973. Inclusive dates are 1949-2000. There is also a bound voume of The Schoolman's Week Bulletinscovering 1930-1954. (1 Box)
- Creation: 1914-2006
- University of Minnesota. College of Education (Organization)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Requests for permission to quote from the College of Education records should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives head.
The College of Education was established at the University of Minnesota in 1905, with its predecessor, the department of pedagogy, created in 1892 within the College of Science, Literature and the Arts (SLA). Before the department was established, prospective teachers were offered courses through SLA, first by Professor Maria Sanford in 1881, and later she was joined by history professor Harry P. Judson in 1885. Around 1905, a summer school was instituted at the University for elementary teachers. In 1908, the college was one of the first in the country to establish a model school to aid in teacher training. At first, the school was only open to children in seventh and eighth grade, but soon expanded to the twelfth grade and became known as University High School.
In 1915, Lotus D. Coffman was appointed dean of the College of Education and is credited with building a strong, unified educational program by centralizing all teacher education within the college in 1916. In 1917, the first Ph.D. program in education was offered. Dr. Coffman was named president of the University of Minnesota in 1920 with Professor Melvin E. Haggerty replacing him as dean.
In 1923, the first physical education courses for teachers were offered by the college and in 1939 the rural education curriculum was established. An elementary model school was opened in 1947. Over the years, the college was instrumental in the establishment of other educational institutes at the University, including the Institute of Child Welfare, the Center for Continuing Education (1930s), the Bureau of Institutional Research, and the General College. .
The name of the college was changed to the College of Education & Human Development in 1995. In 2006, the college absorbed General College, the Department of Family Social Science and the School of Social Work.
16 boxes (20.5 linear feet)
Collection contains the records of the College of Education at the University of Minnesota.
Other Finding Aid
A contents list is available in University Archives for collections 593, 594, 595, 596, 597, 2006-40, and 2013-0050.
Collection has not been processed.
- Brameld, Theodore B., 1904- (Person)
- Coffman, Lotus Delta, 1875-1938 (Person)
- Cook, Walter W., 1899-1963 (Person)
- Edwards, Marcia, 1901- (Person)
- Haggerty, Melvin E. (Melvin Everett), 1875-1937 (Person)
- Kegler, Stanley B. (Person)
- Peik, W. E. (Wesley Ernest), 1886-1951 (Person)
- American Association of Teachers Colleges (Organization)
- Owatonna Art Education Project (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. College of Education & Human Development (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. Coordinator of International Programs (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. Department of Agricultural Education (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. Department of Art Education (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. Dept. of Educational Administration (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. Department of Educational Psychology (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. Dept. of Foundations of Education (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. Dept. of Music Education (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. Dept. of Pedagogy (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. Dept. of Physical Education and Athletics for Men (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. Dept. of Physical Education for Women (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. General College (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. Institute of Child Development (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. Psycho Educational Clinic (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. School of Physical Education (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. University High School (Organization)
- College of Education records, 1914-2006
- Karen Spilman; revised by Karen Klinkenberg
- June 2005
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note