Skip to main content

Biological Club papers

Identifier: 652

Scope and Content

The collection contains correspondence regarding the operation of the club, officer lists, constitution, membership lists, committee papers, programs, materials regarding the 40th and 50th anniversaries of the club, financial records, photographs of non-University individuals, record books, personal statements of members and miscellaneous papers.

Each member of the club was required to submit a photograph of himself for display in the "Rogues Gallery". These photos were found in the papers and placed in the photo collection. Photo lab numbers found on some the photos have been recorded next to the list of names for easier access. See a copy of the paper finding aid for the list.

According to the Provenance File, seven Record Books were donated to University Archives. However only six books were found when the collection was processed. It is unknown what happened to the seventh book, which probably dates between 1964-1974.


  • 1914-1970


Language of Materials


Use of Materials

Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.


Requests for permission to quote from the Biological Club papers should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives head.

Historical Note

The Biological Club at the University of Minnesota was established within the College of Agriculture as a faculty club. The first meeting was held on September 26, 1913, with a mission "to promote biological knowledge and good fellowship among its members." E. C. Stakman was elected president and W. P. Valleau was elected secretary/treasurer.

Early in the club's history, meetings were held in member's homes. Later on they were held on the St. Paul Campus. The club met bi-monthly during the school year. A program was presented at each meeting by one of the members, which consisted of a talk. Cigars, which were sent to the club president by various individuals as gifts, seemed to also be an important component of the meetings.

Membership originally consisted of 12 white males who met with the approval of the club. These were faculty from the St. Paul Campus, originally known as University Farm. Membership continued to grow and in 1970 it consisted of 36 active and 10 alumni members. The nickname of the club was the "Bug Club" and its mascot was the sacred bull.


3 boxes (1.5 linear feet)


Collection contains the papers of the Biological Club, a faculty club within the College of Agriculture at the University of Minnesota.

Other Finding Aid Available

A finding aid with a contents list is available in University Archives.

Source of acquisition

This collection was donated to University Archives by M. F. Kernkamp, Chairman of the Archives Committee of the Biological Club on February 27, 1974.

Related Materials in University of Minnesota Archives

University of Minnesota. College of Agriculture papers

University of Minnesota. Division of Horticulture papers

Biological Club papers, 1914-1970
Karen Klinkenberg
March 1997
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Collecting Area Details

Contact The University Archives Collecting Area