Campus Club records
Scope and Content
Collection 653 (1938, 1969-1974) contains minutes of meetings of the Board of Directors, historical information, fiscal reports, correspondence and collective bargaining agreements with employees .
Collection 2006-39 (1999-2005) contains materials regarding the renovation, minutes and correspondence of the board of directors (1999-2001) and general operating correspondence files.
- 1938, 1969-1974, 1999-2005
- University of Minnesota. Campus Club (Organization)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Requests for permission to quote from the Campus Club records should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives head.
The Faculty Dining Club was established in 1906 as an organization of male faculty members who held regular meetings to offer an “opportunity for making acquaintances and for discussion of many questions of University policy.” In 1910, dining club members formed a committee to discuss a permanent club organization with low dues and a club house. By 1911 a house, located at 112 Church Street, S.E., was obtained from the University for that purpose. An executive committee was appointed in May, 1911, whose functions were to remodel and furnish the club house for opening in the fall of 1911, write a constitution, incorporate the club and enroll membership. At that time also, the name was changed to Campus Club.
The purpose of the Campus Club, as stated in the Articles of Incorporation is, “…the advancement of the interests of the University of Minnesota; the social enjoyment of its members; the acquirement, by purchase, lease or gift of such property, real and personal, as may be desirable for furtherance of said interests.” Membership was open to all males connected with the official or instructional staff of the University. Membership could also include others “interested in the welfare of the University.”
In 1925, the Campus Club moved to the Minnesota Union (now Nicholson hall) and on September 23, 1940, it opened in the Coffman Memorial Union. The Campus Club was included in the complete renovation of Coffman Union from 1999-2003. Currently, the Campus Club membership is open to anyone affiliated with the University, including faculty, students, staff, Regents, donors and alumni.
2 boxes (Collection 653) (0.75 linear feet); 2 boxes (Collection 2006-39); 0.75 linear feet)
Collection contains the records of the Campus Club at the University of Minnesota.
Other Finding Aid Available
A finding aid with a contents list is available in University Archives.
Source of acquisition
The collection was deposited in University Archives on December 5, 1984 and October 2, 1987.
- Campus Club records, 1938, 1969-1974, 1999-2005
- Karen Klinkenberg
- revised September 2005
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University Archives Collecting Area