Institute of Child Welfare records
Scope and Content
The collection contains annual reports of the Institute (1925-1939), which include reports of research projects, staff lists and an organizational chart of the Institute (1932). Other materials include reports of the Parent Education Department (1925-1951), papers of the conference "The Concept of Development" held December 8-10, 1955, summary report of the Institute's activities from 1925-1939, and correspondence regarding a study on drawings made by Nepalese children (1965).
- Creation: 1925-1957, 1965
- University of Minnesota. Institute of Child Welfare (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection materials in English
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives.
The Institute of Child Welfare was established at the University of Minnesota in 1925 within the office of academic administration. Its mission was to study and gain knowledge about the development of the normal child and disseminate information regarding childcare to parents. One year after its founding, the Institute became a department in the graduate school offering M.A. and Ph.D. degrees. The first director of the Institute was Dr. John E. Anderson (1925-1955).
Programs offered by the Institute include counseling services begun in 1933, an undergraduate degree in child psychology established in 1955 and since 1925, the Institute has been home to a laboratory nursery school that provides model training experiences for teachers of young children. The Institute became a unit within the College of Education in 1957 and subsequently changed its name to the Institute of Child Development and Welfare. In 1963 the name was shortened to the Institute of Child Development.
1.25 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Collection contains the records of the Institute of Child Welfare at the University of Minnesota.
Source of acquisition
The collection was originally transferred to University Archives by the Institute of Child Welfare on November 27, 1951. Subsequent donations were made in 1955, 1957 and 1965.
- Institute of Child Welfare records, 1925-1957, 1965
- Karen Spilman
- September 2005
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English