Thomas Orlo Heggen Papers
Scope and Content
The collection consists of manuscript material, notably Mr. Roberts, an article about Tom Heggen by Budd Schulberg, memorabilia of the various productions of the play including stills of play rehearsals and photographs of Tom Heggen, Joshua Logan and Henry Fonda.. Also included are selected articles from the Minnesota Daily and Ski-U-Mah and a term paper on Mark Twain written by Tom Heggen.
Language of Materials
Use of Materials
Items in the collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives.
Biographical Note of Thomas Orlo Heggen, 1919-1949
Thomas (Tom) Heggen was born on December 23, 1919 in Fort Dodge, Iowa. He graduated from the University of Minnesota's School of Journalism in 1941. While a student, he was a regular contributor to the University publications, Minnesota Dailyand Ski-U-Mah. His best known work is his novel, Mr. Roberts(1946) which was later produced as a Broadway play (1949) in collaboration with playwright, Joshua Logan. The film, Mr. Roberts, was released in 1955 and starred Henry Fonda who also created the role on stage. Tom Heggen died May, 1949 in New York.
1.25 Cubic Feet (1 box)
The collection contains the Papers of Thomas Orlo Heggen, a graduate of the University of Minnesota and writer of the novel Mr. Roberts, later produced as a Broadway play in 1949 and made into a film in 1955.
The collection is arranged in three parts:
Source of acquisition
The collection was deposited in University Archives by Professor George Hage of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication on July 1, 1983.
- Articles Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Authors and the theater Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Authors, American - 20th century - Drama Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Awards Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Dramatists, American - 20th century Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Fonda, Henry, 1905-1982
- Logan, Joshua, 1908-1988
- Manuscripts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Motion pictures and theater Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Playbill Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Playwriting - Drama Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Programs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Schulberg, Budd, 1914-
- Theater - 20th Century Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- University of Minnesota Department of Theatre Arts
- University of Minnesota School of Journalism
- Thomas Orlo Heggen papers, 1940-1960
- University Archives staff; revised by Karen Klinkenberg
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English