A. Dale Riley papers
Collection contains copies of plays collected by A. Dale Riley, Assistant Professor and director of the University Theatre at the University of Minnesota.
- Riley, A. Dale (Person)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives.
A. Dale Riley was born on December 30, 1887. He attended Cornell University where he obtained a B.A. in 1912. From 1913-1916 Riley taught in the Philippines for the U.S. Civil Service. Riley continued his work in the Philippines as a superintendent with the Moro Foundation. From 1926-1927 Riley taught dramatic art at Wheeling High School in Wheeling, West Virginia, and later attended the University of Iowa, where he completed a M.A. in 1930. (1)
Riley was appointed Assistant Professor of Speech and Director of Dramatics at the University of Minnesota in 1931. (2) He is credited with organizing the various dramatic activities on campus and expanding instruction to offer a coordinated University Theatre program. Riley passed away on December 11, 1936.
(1) The Biennial Report of the President, 1936 - 1938.
(2) University of Minnesota Board of Regents Minutes: October 3, 1931.
1.25 Cubic Feet (1 box)
- A. Dale Riley papers
- Kyle Boeser; Rebecca Toov
- May 2005; updated October 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- October 2020: Biographical Note, Contents list added
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University Archives Collecting Area