Coates Preston Bull papers
Scope and Content
The collection includes a scrapbook of weeds with descriptions by Henry Bull, together with papers from Joseph Ball about the history of the University of Minnesota School of Agriculture. Materials by C.P. Bull include a collection of material on Luther Burbank, correspondence, a history of the relation of the Minnesota Grange to the University School of Agriculture, 4 x 4 slides of grains and weeds, glass negatives of Northern Minnesota and Port Arthur, Ontario, copper plates of Indians gathering wild rice, and a collection of miscellaneous pamphlets.
- Bull, Coates Preston, 1872-1967 (Person)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives.
Biographical Sketch of Coates Preston Bull (1872-1967)
Coates Preston Bull was born in 1872 in Edina Mills, Minnesota. He graduated from the University of Minnesota in 1901, and remained as a professor of Agronomy, except for a term of service for the Red Cross starting in 1918 in Serbia. In addition to teaching, Bull also worked with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture's Weed Program as well as founding the American Society of Agronomy, which led the development of the Crop Improvement Association. He was a member of Sigma Xi, the American Genetics Association and Patrons of Husbandry. Bull retired in 1943, and died in 1967 in St. Paul.
1 box (1.3 linear feet)
This collection contains the papers of Coates P. Bull, Professor of Agronomy at the University of Minnesota from 1901-1943.
- Ball, Joseph
- Burbank, Luther, 1849-1926
- Minnesota -- Photographs. Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Minnesota State Grange.
- Port Arthur (Ont.) -- Photographs. Subject Source: Lcnaf
- University of Minnesota. School of Agriculture
- Weeds -- Catalogs and collections Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wild rice -- Harvesting -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Coates Preston Bull Papers, 1912-1938
- University Archives Staff; revised by Guy Peterson
- March 2006
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University Archives Collecting Area