Greater University Fund proposals
Scope and Content
The collection contains proposals for projects to be undertaken by the Greater University Fund, submitted by various University departments at the time President J.L. Morrill was seeking suggestions as to the Fund's possible uses.
- University of Minnesota. Greater University Fund (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection materials in English
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives.
The Greater University Fund at the University of Minnesota was established in May 1947 by a joint action of the board of directors of the General Alumni Association and the Board of Regents, for the purpose of providing a continuing alumni endowment to the University. The Fund was overseen by the General Alumni Association and was named after the Greater University Cooperation, which conducted fund raising campaigns for Memorial Stadium, Northrop Auditorium and Coffman Union in the 1920s. Stanley J. Wenberg served at the first director from 1947-1953, followed by Robert P. Proust (1953-1960) and Joseph H. Davidson (1960-1962).
The purpose of the University Fund was "to encourage and enable the alumni and friends of the University of Minnesota to share in forwarding the total educational program of the University, including teaching, research, and services for the public good, and to supplement the University income through alumni giving as well as through bequests and devises."
Iin 1962, the Minnesota Alumni Association decided to dissolve the Greater University Fund after it was recommended that the University establish the University of Minnesota Foundation, a non-profit corporation of the State of Minnesota, to raise funds for the University.
1 box (0.25 cubic feet)
Collection contains proposals for projects to be undertaken by the Greater University Fund, which was funded by donations from alumni of the University of Minnesota.
Source of acquisition
The collection was deposited in University Archives on March 27, 1950 by Stanley J. Wenberg.
- Greater University Fund Proposals, 1948
- Archives Staff; revised by Karen Spilman
- 1958; revised September 2005
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English