College of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Sciences papers
Scope and Content
The collection contains correspondence, reports, meeting minutes, materials of the advisory council, and other administrative papers of the College of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Sciences.
Language of Materials
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Requests for permission to quote from the College of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Sciences papers should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives head.
Agricultural education has been an integral part of the University of Minnesota since its inception. The original University charter, passed by the Territorial Legislature in 1851, named a Department of Agriculture as one of the five major divisions of the University. Instruction in agriculture did not commence until 1869 with the establishment of the College of Agriculture. In 1871, it became an independent unit, the Department of Agriculture.
The name was changed to the College of Agriculture, Forestry and Home Economics in 1917 to more accurately describe its course offerings. The Department of Agriculture was renamed the Institute of Agriculture in 1952, with all instruction in agriculture, forestry, home economics and veterinary medicine being offered within the Institute. In 1957, the School of Veterinary Medicine was designated as a separate college. In 1970, the College of Agriculture, Forestry and Home Economics was reorganized, creating three separate departments within the Institute, the College of Agriculture, the School of Forestry and the School of Home Economics.
In 1974, the name of the Institute was changed to the Institute of Agriculture, Forestry and Home Economics. In 1995, the College of Agriculture changed its name to the College of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Sciences and was made an autonomous unit at the University. Currently, the college consists of 11 departments, one division and six research and outreach centers.
4 boxes (5.2 linear feet)
Collection contains the papers of the College of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Sciences at the University of Minnesota.
Other Finding Aid Available
A finding aid with a contents list is available in University Archives.
Source of acquisition
The collection was transferred to University Archives on September 16, 2004.
- College of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Sciences papers, 1970s-1990s
- Karen Spilman
- August 2005
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University Archives Collecting Area