Center for Urban and Regional Affairs records
Scope and Content
The collection contains files on research projects conducted with the Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (CURA) grants, data collected during research and correspondence of faculty, students and community groups associated with CURA.
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives.
The Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (CURA) was established in 1968 to assist communities across Minnesota find solutions to issues with housing, job placement, access to health and human services, crime and educational opportunities. CURA’s establishment was in response to the social change occurring in local communities at the time of its creation, and as such many of its initial projects were experimental and short-term (1). While other similar programs across the country have shifted their focus, CURA continues to evolve to respond to community needs (1). The goal of CURA is to find avenues that allow faculty and staff of the University of Minnesota to work with groups and agencies in the local communities to find solutions to current problems. CURA has formed councils within the University as well, such as the All-University Council on Environmental Quality (1) and the All-University Council on Aging (1), which have allowed for departments with similar goals and research to coordinate more effectively. CURA also oversees the University's survey research center.
(1) Files on Campus Departments, Organizations, and Athletics, Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (CURA), Information files collection, University Archives
40.55 Cubic Feet (31 record boxes, 4 flat boxes )
Language of Materials
Collection contains the records of the Center for Urban and Regional Affairs ( CURA) at the University of Minnesota. Correspondence, records of meetings and field data are prevalent, as are records pertaining to research projects within Minnesota and nationwide.
The collection is arranged into the following series:
- Series 1: Subject Files, 1967-1993
Source of acquisition
The collection was deposited in the University Archives on December 30, 2001.
Processing completed with funds from the State of Minnesota from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the Minnesota Historical Society (2021-2022).
- Community Action Program (U.S.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Community development -- Research Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Urban policy -- Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Center for Urban and Regional Affairs records, 1985-2001
- Karen Spilman; Zoltan Lohse
- February 2005; November 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- November 2021 - February 2022: Contents list added, Notes updated by Zoltan Lohse and Katelyn Morken
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University Archives Collecting Area