College of Engineering and Architecture papers
Scope and Content
The collection consists of 7 volumes dating from 1871-1910 and contains records of the faculty, faculty minutes and correspondence. Unfortunately the correspondence is in very fragile condition and in many cases the ink has faded, making the letters difficult to read. Five folders of the Committee on Rules of the College of Engineering and Architecture (1932-1935) are also included in the papers. They contain drafts, revisions, compilation of rules from previous faculty minutes, correspondence, and a report of the Committee on Rules.
Language of Materials
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Requests for permission to quote from the College of Engineering and Architecture papers should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives head.
In 1868, the University of Minnesota established the College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts. It was renamed the College of Mechanic Arts in 1872 after becoming an independent college by an act of the State Legislature. In 1891, the School of Mines was created and incorporated into the engineering college and in 1892 the name of the college was changed to the College of Engineering, Metallurgy and Mechanic Arts. After five years, in 1896, the School of Mines was detached from the College of Engineering to form a separate school and the college was renamed College of Engineering and Mechanic Arts. In 1915, the name was again changed to the College of Engineering and Architecture and in 1935 the college became part of the newly created Institute of Technology. The architectural program was elevated to a separate school within the Institute of Technology in 1949 and the college became the College of Engineering. In 1970, the College of Engineering was dissolved and separate departments within the Institute of Technology were established for chemical engineering and materials science, civil engineering, and computer science and engineering.
1 box (1.3 linear feet)
Collection contains the papers of the College of Engineering and Architecture at the University of Minnesota.
Other Finding Aid Available
A finding aid with a contents list is available in University Archives.
Source of acquisition
The collection was transferred to University Archives on July 29, 1981.
- College of Engineering and Architecture papers, 1871-1935
- Archives staff; updated by Karen Spilman
- updated August 2005
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note