Tandem Laboratory of Physics records
Scope and Content
Collection contains lab, maintenance and guest books, grant proposals, memos, reports and correspondence.
- 1953, 1961-2007
Language of Materials
Collection material in English
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives.
The School of Physics and Astronomy's John H. Williams Laboratory of Nuclear Physics, more widely known as the Tandem Lab, was built in 1965 by the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC), National Science Foundation (NSF) and the University of Minnesota to at first enhance and later replace the 68 Merv linear accelator that had been in use since the 1950s. The particle accelator was decommissioned in 1978 and the lab became used for applied science research.
All use of the Tandem Lab was suspended after the collapse of the 35-W bridge in Minneapolis in 2007 because of the Lab's location of being less than 100 feet from the collapse site.
2.0 Cubic Feet (2)
Collection contains the records of the John H. Williams Laboratory of Nuclear Physics, also known as the Tandem Lab. Materials include lab books, correspondence, reports and memos.
Source of acquisition
Materials were transferred to University Archives in November 2007.
40 volumes of duplicate reports and budget requests were removed. Lab/maintenance notebooks were sampled.
- Physics -- Study and teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Minnesota. Linear Accelerator Laboratory.
- Tandem Laboratory of Physics Records, 1953, 1961-2007
- Karen Spilman
- June 2008
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English