Institute of Technology papers
Scope and Content
This collection focuses on the first 25 years of the Institute of Technology. It contains correspondence, departmental minutes, rules and regulations of the School of Architecture, engineering organizational papers, reports, and committee papers. The collection also includes materials regarding war training at the University during World War II (box 7 and 12).
Collection 1106 consists of three boxes of audio-visual materials, including slides.
- University of Minnesota. Institute of Technology (Organization)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Requests for permission to quote from the Institute of Technology papers should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives head.
The Institute of Technology (IT) was established at the University of Minnesota by the Board of Regents on October 19, 1935. Its purpose was to consolidate the programs offered by the College of Engineering and Architecture, the School of Mines and Metallurgy and the School of Chemistry into one academic unit to allow students to easily move between related disciplines. Samuel C. Lind, director of the School of Chemistry, was appointed as dean of IT.
Lind retired in 1947, being replaced as dean in 1949 by Athelstan Spilhaus. In 1949, the School of Architecture was recognized as an independent collegiate unit within the Institute of Technology. In 1959, the Board of Regents established a two-year engineering certificate that could be awarded to students who completed the lower division curriculum in IT. The first Certificate in Science was awarded at the June 1959 commencement.
In 1962, the University reorganized the College of Science, Literature and the Arts (SLA), to strengthen liberal arts instruction. It was renamed the College of Liberal Arts, with the program the Departments of Astronomy and Geology being transferred from SLA to the Institute of Technology. Dean Spilhaus resigned in June 1966, and was replaced by Professor Warren B. Cheston, director of the Space Science Center at the University. At the time of Dr. Cheston's appointment as dean, the Institute of Technology consisted of the School of Physics and Astronomy, the School of Chemistry, the School of Earth Sciences, the School of Mathematics, the School of Architecture and the College of Engineering.
In 1970, the School of Mines and Metallurgy was abolished, with its programs being transferred to the newly redesigned departments of chemical engineering and materials science, and civil engineering. The department of computer science and engineering was also established in 1970. Richard Swalin replaced Warren Cheston as dean in 1971. In 1979, Roger Staehle was appointed as dean of IT.
In 1980, the Institute of Technology and the Control Data Corporation established a national center for research and development in microelectronics and computer science related technologies. The Center for Microelectronic and Information Sciences was the first of its kind in the country, focusing on research and development in computer design. A new curriculum focused on the building of computer systems, computer engineering, was established in IT in 1982. At the time, the program at the University was only one of a handful offered at colleges and universities across the country. In 1984, Ettore Infante was named dean of IT.
In 1989, the Institute of Technology won a military contract to establish the Army High Performance Computing Research Center. The center, working in conjunction with the University's Supercomputer Center, focused on basic research in computational mathematics, science and engineering in relation to warfare applications. Also in 1989, the School of Architecture separated from IT, becoming the College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture. From 1993-1995, Francis Kulacki served as dean, being replaced by H. Ted Davis in 1995. Steven L. Crouch was named dean in 2005.
20 boxes (12.4 linear feet)
Collection contains the papers of the Institute of Technology at the University of Minnesota.
Other Finding Aid Available
A finding aid with a partial contents list is available in University Archives.
Source of acquisition
The collection was transferred to University Archives on January 31, 1950. Additional deposits were made in 1966, 1981 and 1990.
- Akerman, John D., 1897-1972
- Buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Coffey, Walter Castella, 1876-1956
- Coffman, Lotus Delta, 1875-1938
- DuPriest, John Randolph, 1882-
- Ford, Guy Stanton, 1873-1962
- Gortner, Ross Aiken, 1885-1942
- Hall, C.W. (Christopher Webber), 1845-1911
- Jones, Roy Childs, 1885-1963
- Koepke, Charles Augustus, 1893-
- Lind, Samuel C. (Samuel Colville), 1879-1965
- Mann, Charles August, 1886-
- Patents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Piccard, Jean Felix, 1884-1963
- Pike, William Abbot, 1851-1895
- Research Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- St. Anthony Falls Hydraulic Laboratory
- Straub, Lorenz G. (Lorenz George), 1901-
- United States. Work Projects Administration
- Universities and colleges -- Curricula Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Entrance requirements Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Minnesota. College of Engineering
- University of Minnesota. Engineering Experiment Station
- University of Minnesota. School of Architecture
- University of Minnesota. School of Chemistry
- University of Minnesota. School of Mines and Metallurgy
- World War, 1939-1945. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Institute of Technology papers, 1933-1945, 1954-1961
- Karen Spilman
- September 2005
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note