School of Architecture papers
Scope and Content
The collection contains correspondence, administrative papers, scrapbooks and historical information regarding the School of Architecture.
- Creation: 1912-1960
- University of Minnesota. School of Architecture (Organization)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Requests for permission to quote from the School of Architecture papers should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives head.
Architecture courses were first introduced into the curriculum at the University of Minnesota as early as 1874 within the College of Mechanic Arts. In 1913, a full course of architecture was established. Frederick Mann was appointed chair and two faculty were also added that year, Roy Childs Jones and Lewis B. Walton. Courses in drawing, design specifications, decorative composition and materials construction were offered.
In 1915, the College of Engineering and Architecture was established and in 1925, the department of architecture was raised to the status of a school. Roy Childs Jones served as chair from 1937-1953, when Ralph Rapson became chair. In 1949, the School of Architecture was made a separate administrative unit within the Institute of Technology. The College of Engineering and Architecture was renamed the College of Engineering.
In 1965, a five year program in landscape architecture was established, and one year later, the school was renamed Architecture and Landscape Architecture to more fully describe the school's curriculum. In 1989, the school was reestablished as the College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture.
5 boxes (6.5 linear feet)
Collection contains the papers of the School of Architecture at the University of Minnesota.
Other Finding Aid Available
A finding aid with a contents list is available in University Archives.
Source of acquisition
The collection was transferred to University Archives from 1960-1988.
Collection has not been processed.
- Buffington, L.S. (Leroy Sunderland), 1847-1931 (Person)
- Jones, Roy Childs, 1885-1963 (Person)
- Mann, Frederick Maynard (Person)
- Rapson, Ralph, 1914-2008 (Person)
- Tau Sigma Delta (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. College of Engineering and Architecture (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture (Organization)
- School of Architecture papers, 1912-1960
- Karen Spilman; revised by Karen Klinkenberg
- August 2005
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note