Advisory Architect records
Scope and Content
This collection, for the most part, is concerned with the planning and constructing of individual University buildings. The amount of correspondence varies from one or two items for some buildings to several folders for others. The Cass Gilbert plan for the Minneapolis campus is referred to casually in several letters, but it is never discussed in detail, and there is little information about the overall planning for any of the campuses.
- University of Minnesota. Advisory Architect (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection materials in English
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives.
The role of the consulting or advisory architect was created by the Board of Regents on December 9, 1919. The minutes of this meeting appointed Professor James H. Forsythe as the consulting architect and was given the following duties:
- To assist the Board of Regents, the President, the Comptroller, and the Faculty in collecting and correlating information concerning all buildings to be erected under the ten year comprehensive building plan.
- To have charge of all matters dealing with general campus development on the main campus and elsewhere, and to recommend to the Board of Regents locations for new buildings on such property.
- To act as the official representative of the Board of Regents, the office of the Comptroller, and the Faculty in their relations with the Architect of the Board of Control.
The consulting or advisory architects have included James H. Forsythe, Frederick M. Mann, Roy Childs Jones, and Winston A. Close.
5.3 Cubic Feet (6)
Collection contains the records of the Advisory Architect of the University of Minnesota, including subject and building files.
The collection is arranged into the following series:
- Subject files
- Buildings, Minneapolis campus
- Buildings, St. Paul campus
- Buildings, Duluth campus
- Buildings, schools and stations
- Proposed buildings
Source of Acquisition
The collection was transferred to University Archives from 1959-1970.
- Architecture -- Minnesota -- 20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Campus planning. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Close, Winston A. (Winston Arthur) (1906-1997)
- College buildings -- Designs and plans. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College facilities -- Planning. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Forsythe, James H.
- Jones, Roy Childs, 1885-1963
- Mann, Frederick Maynard
- University of Minnesota. University Grove.
- Advisory Architect Records, 1920-1965
- Maxine Clapp; updated by Karen Spilman
- August 2005
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University Archives Collecting Area