Skip to main content

General Extension Division papers

Identifier: ua00951

Scope and Content

The collection contains general correspondence, personnel files, committee, council and monthly reports, project papers, materials regarding radio and T.V. in education, clippings, faculty meeting minutes and other administrative papers.


  • 1913-1970


Language of Materials


Use of Materials

Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.


Requests for permission to quote from the General Extension Division papers should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives head.

Historical Note

The General Extension Division was established at the University on August 1, 1913 to offer courses and instruction to people across the state of Minnesota. The division was responsible for planning and staffing evening courses held on and off campus, correspondence courses, short-courses, and lectures to local communities for all collegiate units except the College of Agriculture. The goal of the division was to increase the scope and effectiveness of the University by extending services and activities to people who are not a part of the traditional student body. College credit for some courses could be awarded to extension students, if they met the admissions requirements of the University.

By the late 1950s, the Extension Division consisted of eight major departments: the audio-visual extension service, the center for continuation study, the correspondence study department, the evening and special class department, the municipal reference bureau, the radio and television broadcasting department, the state organization service and the University program service. In 1960, the first graduate program, leading to an MBA, was established in the extension division. By 1962, 19,000 students were enrolled for 1,000 courses offered in the evening around the state. Many students were completing courses in the liberal arts and earning college credit. In 1964, a program that offered courses for credit via television was unveiled. Three to four courses would be offered each quarter, resulting in the earning of 10-14 resident credits, or a total of 33 credits if the student completed the yearly sequence.

The division was renamed Continuing Education and Extension (CEE) in 1972. On July 1, 1996, CEE was renamed University College (UC). While still offering non-credit, distance education and community outreach programs, UC also offered undergraduate and graduate degrees in a number of fields, certificates and post-baccalaureate licensures at the Twin Cities, Morris, Duluth and Crookston campuses, and the Rochester Center. In 1999, the college was renamed the College of Continuing Education.


28 boxes (36.4 linear feet)


Collection contains the papers of the General Extension Division at the University of Minnesota.

Source of acquisition

The collection was transferred to University Archives from 1951-1971.

Related Materials in University of Minnesota Archives

William Watts Folwell papers

Julius M. Nolte papers

Richard R. Price papers

Ruth Raymond papers

Andrew A. Stomberg papers

University of Minnesota. College of Science, Literature and the Arts papers

University of Minnesota. Comptroller papers

Processing Information

An update to this collection guide was added in 2015, made possible by the State of Minnesota from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the Minnesota Historical Society.

General Extension Division papers, 1913-1970
Karen Spilman
August 2005
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Collecting Area Details

Contact The University Archives Collecting Area