Office of the Vice President for Business Administration papers
Scope and Content
Because of William Middlebrook's dual role as comptroller, and later Vice President for Business Administration, and secretary of the Board of Regents, this collection contains biographical and other information regarding the activities and members of the Board of Regents, as well as business administration materials.
Other materials in the collection include papers relating to the employment of Cass Gilbert as University Architect, correspondence concerning the beginnings of the Child Guidance Clinic (later known as the Institute of Child Welfare), tributes to President Coffman upon his death and materials regarding the selection of the next three presidents of the University.
Some of the more recent materials include Institutional Research Policies and Taxation reporting of the American Council on Education, the California Big 10 Survey (1953), materials of the Ad Hoc Minneapolis Campus Planning Committee, and the NIH Neurology Project Program Committee.
The collection also contains a copy of the now-famous statement issued by Robert M. Hutchins, as filed by him in answer to a summons charging the University of Chicago with subversive activities. It can be located in the file label communism.
- (bulk 1938-1963)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Requests for permission to quote from the Office of the Vice President for Business Administration papers should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives head.
The Office of the Vice President for Business Administration was established by the Board of Regents on June 12, 1943. Created along with the Office of the Vice President for Academic Administration, the positions were to relieve the President of the University from some of the administrative duties that had been assigned to the Presidents Office over the years. The Board of Regents meeting minutes state the vice presidents were to "perform such duties and undertake such responsibilities in the administration of the University of Minnesota as may be assigned to them from time to time by the President of the University with the approval of the Board of Regents." William T. Middlebrook, comptroller of the University, was appointed the first vice president for business administration in 1943.
In July 1969, the duties of the Director of Planning and the Vice President for Business Administration were combined to form the Office of the Vice President of Planning and Operations.
14 boxes (10.2 linear feet)
Collection contains the papers of the Office of the Vice President for Business Administration at the University of Minnesota.
Source of acquisition
The collection was originally deposited in University Archives on May 10, 1948. Many subsequent donations have been made to the collection between 1948-1975, with the last deposit being made on November 10, 1975.
- Academic Freedom. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- American Council on Education
- Andersen, Elmer L., 1909-2004
- Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges
- Bell, James Ford, 1879-1961
- Berg, Sherwood O. (Sherwood Olman), 1919-2014
- Campus planning -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Coffey, Walter Castella, 1876-1956
- Coffman, Lotus Delta, 1875-1938
- College administrators -- Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Communism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cosgrove, Edward B., 1888-1962
- Ford, Guy Stanton, 1873-1962
- Gilbert, Cass, 1859-1934
- Griggs, Richard Leslie, 1886-
- Hagen, Olaf Jensen
- Hutchins, Robert Maynard, 1899-
- Jones, J. Seneca, 1885-1953
- Lawson, George W.
- Leonard, George B.
- Lohmann, Lewis E., 1895-
- Mayo, Charles Horace, 1865-1939
- Mayo, William James, 1861-1939
- Middlebrook, William T.
- Morrill, J.L. (James Lewis), 1891-1979
- National Federation of College and University Business Officers Associations
- Northrop, Cyrus, 1834-1922
- Novak, Edward Everett, 1873-1966
- Pfaender, Albert, 1873-1946
- Quinlivan, Ray J. (Ray James), 1894-1961
- Snyder, Fred Beal, 1859-1951
- United States. Federal Civil Works Administration
- Universities and colleges -- Administration -- Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Finance Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Minnesota -- Presidents
- University of Minnesota, Duluth
- University of Minnesota. Board of Regents
- University of Minnesota. Institute of Agriculture
- University of Minnesota. Institute of Child Welfare
- University of Minnesota. Office of the Vice President. Business Administration -- Archives
- University of Minnesota. University Architect
- Vincent, George E. (George Edgar), 1864-1941
- Wood, Sheldon V., 1883-1959
- Office of the Vice President for Business Administration papers, 1900-1970
- Karen Spilman
- September 2005
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University Archives Collecting Area