Central Files records
Scope and Content
This large collection consists of the administrative files of the University of Minnesota, with the bulk of the records dating from the 1920s-1970s. Large collections of building files, legal records, records regarding salaries and benefits of staff, funding materials and requests, legislative records, and records and information regarding various departments and colleges at the University are contained in this collection.
The collection consists of correspondence, newspaper clippings, informational files regarding past University presidents and administrative units, reports, funding requests, speeches, research materials, conference papers, bills, bank statements, materials regarding staff salaries and benefits, and information regarding various athletic programs and fraternal organizations at the University.
Much of the material is in regards to the Twin Cities campus, but building files and other records can be found in this collection regarding the University of Minnesota campuses at Duluth and Morris as well as the Experiment Stations at Grand Rapids and Waseca.
Most files relating to patents and funds were maintained as separate Central Files collections. Upon transfer of the Central Files to the University Archives, this original arrangement was maintained. Researchers many want to consult this collection in conjunction with the funds and patents collections.
- (bulk 1920s-1970s)
Language of Materials
Collection materials in English
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives.
Central Files served as an early records management system for the University of Minnesota. The office maintained the University's legal, building, and funding files, along with information regarding the Board of Regents, educational programs and departments, reports of studies carried out, and miscellaneous materials regarding the activities of the departments and administration of the University.
172.0 Cubic Feet (172)
Collection contains the records collected by Central Files at the University of Minnesota.
Most of the boxes are arranged into various series, such as building files, legislature, and staff. Other boxes retain an original alphabetical subject arrangement. Like materials in different boxes are listed together in the finding aid.
- Andersen, Elmer L., 1909-2004
- Architecture -- Minnesota -- 20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Campus planning. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Coffey, Walter Castella, 1876-1956
- Coffman, Lotus Delta, 1875-1938
- College buildings -- Designs and plans. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College facilities -- Planning. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College sports -- Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ford, Guy Stanton, 1873-1962
- Griggs, Richard Leslie, 1886-
- Jackson, Dunham, 1888-1946
- Middlebrook, William T.
- Minnesota Alumni Association
- Moos, Malcolm, 1916-1982
- Morrill, J.L. (James Lewis), 1891-1979
- Popovich, Peter S., 1920-
- Secret societies -- Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Skinner, Charles Edward, 1891-
- Student housing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Administration -- Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Employees. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Finance Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Minnesota -- Finance.
- University of Minnesota, Duluth
- University of Minnesota, Morris
- University of Minnesota. General Extension Division
- University of Minnesota. Lake Itasca Forestry and Biological Station
- University of Minnesota. Mayo Memorial Building
- University of Minnesota. North Central Experiment Station (Grand Rapids, Minn.).
- University of Minnesota. Southern Experiment Station (Waseca, Minn.)
- University of Minnesota. Vice President for Business Administration.
- University of Minnesota. West Central School of Agriculture (Morris, Minn.)
- Willey, Malcolm M. (Malcolm Macdonald), 1897-1974
- Wilson, O. Meredith, 1909-1998
- Central Files Records, 1851-1991
- Karen Spilman
- August 2005
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English