University Relations records
Collection contains the records of University Relations, the central communications office of the University of Minnesota.
This collection is arranged into 3 series:
- Subject Files: Folders are labelled according to subject (University department, school, college, event, activity, organization). Materials include correspondence, clippings, reports, and other documents.
- Publications: Various publications edited and published by University Relations include:
- The Minnesotan, 1947-1961; 1964-1969
- Minnesota Chats; Reports From Your University of Minnesota
- University Report, 1969-1973
- Staff Bulletin, 1961-1964
- Report, 1973-1984
- Update, 1973-1995
- Kiosk, 1995-2003
- "M" Newsletter, 1996-2008
- Audio and Video Recordings: Materials include audio and video in various formats arranged in trays.
- Creation: 1910-2001
- University of Minnesota. Office of University Relations (Organization)
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives.
University Relations is the central communications office of the University of Minnesota. Established by the Board of Regents in 1945, University Relations was created to strengthen public relations at the University by coordinating public contact from the Extension Division, the news service, alumni association, the campus radio station KUOM, and the publications office of University Farm.
William Lee Nunn, professor of economics at the University of Newark and labor relations officer during World War II, was appointed as the first director in June 1945.
170 boxes (170.0 cubic feet))
Language of Materials
The initial donation was arranged into a loose alphabetical arrangement. Later accretions had no arrangement. To integrate later accretions, the collection is intellectually arranged in alphabetical order according to the folder name. The collection has not been physically reorganized to match the alphabetical list.
Source of acquisition
The collection was transferred to University Archives in multiple donations from 1949-2004.
*The collection guide is under revision (March 2023). Additional item records and descriptive notes will be added*
- University Relations Records, 1910-2001
- Under Revision
- Karen Spilman
- July 2005
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- 2010: EAD updated November 2010 by Karen Spilman. The collection was processed with later accretions added by Julia Quinn in July 2010.
- 2023: New series added (Publications) and reorganization of series/file listing