Skip to main content

Clyde H. Bailey papers

 Collection
Identifier: uarc 361

Scope and Content

The collection consists of correspondence, reports, talks, writings, biographical material, and diaries. The collection is arranged in two series: Seoul National University and Subject Files. The Seoul University series covers a period from 1954-1962, when the University underwent rebuilding after the end of the Korean War and Bailey served as a consultant for the agricultural program. The Subject Files series is arranged alphabetically, and includes general correspondence and professional and personal correspondence with professional associations, research institutes, and academic colleagues. Inclusive dates for the subject series are 1911-1965.

Dates

  • 1911-1965

Creator

Language of Materials

Collection materials in English, German, and French

Use of Materials

Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.

Copyright

Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives.

Biographical Sketch of Clyde H. Bailey (1887-1968)

Clyde H. Bailey B.S. (1913), North Dakota Agricultural College; M.S. (1916), University of Minnesota; Ph.D. (1921), University of Maryland. Assistant professor of agricultural chemistry (1914-1917), associate professor (1917-1920), and professor (1920) of agricultural biochemistry, University of Minnesota. Associate director Minnesota Agricultural Experiment Station (1938-1941), dean and director, Department of Agriculture (1941-1952). Considered the world's foremost authority on cereal chemistry and flour milling.

Clyde Harold Bailey was born in Minneapolis Minnesota April 15, 1887. He attended the School of Agriculture at University Farm in St. Paul, graduating in 1905. He had several positions in government laboratories before enrolling in science courses at the agricultural college in Grand Forks, North Dakota. During the 1910s and 1920s, Bailey was director of governmental agencies working in the area of food inspection, including the Minnesota State Grain Inspection Department (1916), Minnesota Food Administration (1917), and the State Experimental Flour Mill (1921-1924). From 1929 to 1938 he was director of research at General Mills.

Bailey was considered the world's foremost authority on cereal chemistry and flour milling during his tenure at the University of Minnesota. He was often consulted by government agencies and corporations, including Hormel, the USDA, and General Mills. In 1932, Bailey was the second person awarded the Thomas Burr Osborne gold medal for distinguished contributions in cereal chemistry, awarded by AACC International. In 1941, he served as chair of the committee to establish standards for enriching flour. After retiring as dean of the Department of Agriculture, Bailey served as training consultant to the American Mission for Aid to Greece (1948), technical consultant to the Foreign Agricultural Service (1955), and as a consultant to Seoul National University (1955-1961). Clyde Bailey died March 18, 1968.

Extent

5.25 Cubic Feet (6)

Abstract

Collection contains correspondence, reports, talks, writings and biographical information documenting the professional activities of Clyde H. Bailey, professor, director, and dean emeritus of the department of agriculture at the University of Minnesota.

Source of acquisition

The majority of the collection was deposited in University Archives on August 27, 1964.

Processing Information

This collection was processed with funds provided by the State of Minnesota through the Minnesota Historical Society from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund.

Please help us improve access to the archival collections - take our five question survey http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XL2DGPZ
Title
Clyde H. Bailey Papers, 1911-1965
Author
Karen Spilman
Date
April 2005
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English

Collecting Area Details

Contact The University Archives Collecting Area

Contact:

612-624-0562