Department of Concerts and Lectures papers
Scope and Content
The collection consists of correspondence, biennial and financial reports, posters, contracts, news releases, materials regarding the Northrop Dance season, the performances of the Metropolitan Opera and the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra (later called the Minnesota Orchestra), newspaper clippings, programs, and scrapbooks of various performances and convocations held at Northrop Auditorium.
- Creation: 1932-1988
- University of Minnesota. Department of Concerts and Lectures (Organization)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives.
The Department of Concerts and Lectures was established at the University of Minnesota by an act of the Board of Regents in December 1943. The department, then known as the Concert and Lectures Bureau, was responsible for overseeing all lectures, concerts, and other entertainment brought to the University. The first director of the department was James S. Lombard, former head of the correspondence department of the General Extension Division.
Originally, the department was responsible for management and promotion of the University Artists' Course, administration of the University lyceum, selecting convocation speakers, and integrating these activities with specific academic departments. It also oversaw the Community Program service, a play library available for loan to all school in the area. Over time, the responsibilities of the department changed to overseeing programming and special events held at Northrop Auditorium.
42 boxes (53.8 linear feet)
Collection contains the papers of the Department of Concerts and Lectures at the University of Minnesota.
The parts of the collection that consist of correspondence and other papers are mostly arranged in chronological order.
Source of acquisition
The collection was first deposited in University Archives on June 5, 1969. Many subsequent donations have been added to the collection over the years, the last coming on January 17, 1995.
- Lombard, James Sargent, 1901-1970 (Person)
- Smith, Ross D. (Person)
- Wilkins, Roy, 1901-1981 (Person)
- Wilson, O. Meredith, 1909-1998 (Person)
- Greater Twin Cities’ Youth Symphonies (Organization)
- Metropolitan Opera (New York, N.Y.) (Organization)
- Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra (Organization)
- Minnesota Opera (Organization)
- Northrop Memorial Auditorium (Minneapolis, Minn.) (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. Dept. of Music (Organization)
- University of Minnesota. University Gallery (Organization)
- Department of Concerts and Lectures papers, 1932-1988
- Karen Spilman
- September 2005
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English