James Lewis Morrill papers
Scope and Content
The collection includes correspondence, invitations accepted and rejected, speeches and articles, records of honorary degrees, reports and papers to organizations including various committees of the American Council on Education, the Ford Foundation Committee on University and World Affairs, the Institute of International Education, and the Commission on Government Security.
Language of Materials
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Requests for permission to quote James Lewis Morrill should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives.
Biographical Sketch of James Lewis Morrill 1891-1979
James Lewis Morrill was born in Marion, Ohio on September 24, 1891 and was the president of the University of Wyoming from 1942-45 when he was appointed president of the University of Minnesota. He served during a time of unprecedented growth in post World War II and oversaw enrollment of one of the largest veteran populations in the country. During Morrill’s tenure the Duluth Branch and the School of Agriculture at Waseca were established as well as the School of Veterinary Medicine on the St. Paul Campus and expansion to the West Bank was begun. Morrill resigned from the presidency in 1960 and became an educational consultant to the Ford Foundation. In 1962 the administration building on the Minneapolis campus was renamed Morrill Hall in his honor. He died on July 20, 1979 in Columbus, Ohio at the age of 87.
22.6 Linear Feet (19 boxes)
This collection contains the papers of James Lewis Morrill, University of Minnesota president, 1945-1960
Source of acquisition
A number of Morrill's speeches were donated to University Archives in 1959 by Anna M. Nygren. The source of acquisition of the remainder of the collection is unknown.
- James Lewis Morrill papers, 1945-1964
- University Archives Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University Archives Collecting Area