University Archives Reference Photograph Collection
The collection contains print photographs and negatives, the bulk of which were created by staff of the University of Minnesota Photographic Laboratory. When the Laboratory successor, Biomedical Graphics, ceased operations in December 1993, a large collection of photographic reprints and negatives was transferred to the Archives. Staff assembled this general photographic collection from those materials to aid reference services.
The collection is divided into three series:
- Activities, Events, and Organizations This series contains photographs of university-affiliated activities, events and organizations, alphabetized by subject.
- Faculty, Staff, and Student Portraits This series contains faculty, staff, and student portraits, organized alphabetically by last name.
- Campus Scenes, Buildings, and Facilities This series contains photographs of campus scenes, buildings, and facilities organized alphabetically by building or facility name underneath 3 sub-series: Minneapolis Campus; St. Paul Campus; and Coordinate Campuses and Outstate Facilities.
Individual print photographs may have additional caption and date information recorded on the back. Envelopes in which the negatives are contained also record additional caption and date information. In many cases, the print photographs include an ink stamp stating “File Print,” a handwritten number, or crop lines/marks on the front of the photograph that may obscure the image.
Print photographs from the folders that comprise the Faculty, Staff, and Student Portraits series and the Campus Scenes, Buildings, and Facilities series were digitized. Search for the name of a person or a building/facility in the University of Minnesota Archives Photograph Collection in the UMedia Archive.
- 1880s - 1990s
Use of Materials
Items in this collection do not circulate and may be used in-house only.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the University of Minnesota Archives.
50 Cubic Feet (31 Paige boxes; 3 file drawers) : Black and white and color print photographs and film negatives
Language of Materials
Photographs depicting activities, events, organizations, faculty, staff, students, campus scenes, buildings, and facilities of the University of Minnesota.
Folders were originally stored in lateral filing cabinets in the University Archives office suite. Due to a physical space reorganization, the bulk of the collection was removed from filing cabinets, boxed, and relocated to archival storage.
- University Archives Reference Photograph Collection
- In Progress
- Lydia Larson, Rebecca Toov
- August 2022
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- August 2022: Collection guide created, First series contents list added (Lydia Larson)
- September 2022: Second series contents list added (Mercer Dilweg); Third series contents list and series level description added (Rebecca Toov)
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University Archives Collecting Area