Temple Israel (Duluth, Minn.) records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of materials dating between 1909 and 2011 and includes correspondence, business records, photographs, newspaper clippings, scrapbook, audio/visual materials, bulletins, meeting minutes, newsletters, financial documents, event programs, oversize ledger books, and reports.
- Creation: 1909-2011
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Temple Israel in Duluth, Minnesota, began in 1969 with the merger of two different Jewish synagogues with long histories -- Temple Emanuel and Tifereth Israel.
Temple Emanuel, which was Duluth's first Jewish congregation, was founded in 1891 by German and Hungarian Jews and was affiliated with the Reform tradition. Incorporated in 1896, they built their first permanent house in 1904 at Second Street and Seventh Avenue East.
Tifereth Israel was founded in 1893 by Eastern European Jews and Orthodox services were held in a private residence at Fifth Street and Third Avenue East. By 1922 a new building was opened at 302 East Fourth Street. Due to this location they became known as the "Fourth Street shul." By 1945 the congregation became affiliated with the Conservative movement.
In 1969, due to a declining population of Duluth Jews, the two synagogues chose to merge their congregations and their names to become Temple Israel, with services held in the Temple Emanuel building. In 1974 the congregation moved to the Jewish Education Center (which had been built in 1951) and the space was remodeled to create a sanctuary. The building, located at Second Street and Sixteenth Avenue East, still houses the congregation, which now follows the Reform and Reconstructionist traditions. It currently stands as the only full-service synagogue on the North Shore in Minnesota.
Source: "Temple Israel, Duluth." MNopedia, Minnesota Historical Society.
5.7 Cubic Feet (9 boxes -- 3 Paige boxes, 2 Hollinger boxes, 4 oversize boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of the records of Temple Israel synagogue in Duluth, Minnesota, as well as its predecessors before a merge (Temple Emanuel and Tifereth Israel) and other local Jewish Duluth organizations incuding Hadassah and Duluth Jewish Federation.
This collection is divided into series: (1) Hadassah, Duluth materials (2) Photographs and scrapbooks (3) Synagogue and Jewish Duluth history materials (4) Duluth Jewish Federation materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Temple Israel leadership in December 2022.
- Temple Israel (Duluth, Minn.) records, 1909-2011
- Kate Dietrick
- March 2023
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description