Mount Sinai Hospital records
Scope and Content
The collection is comprised of administrative papers, including board meeting minutes, correspondence, articles of incorporation, amendments, and by-laws. Meeting minutes for various committees, such as the research and education committee, the operating committee, and the buildings and grounds committee, are included in minute books.
- Creation: 1945-1991
- Mount Sinai Hospital (Minneapolis, Minn.) (Organization)
Use of Materials
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives; please contact the archives for more detailed copyright information.
After nearly five years of planning, Mount Sinai Hospital opened its doors in February 1951 under Chief of Staff Dr. Moses Barron. The seven-story, 197 bed facility was the most modern hospital in the community at the time. Its creation served two purposes: Jewish physicians who had been denied admitting privileges at other city hospitals could now practice medicine, and the founders garnered enormous civic prestige. It was the first private non-sectarian hospital in the community to accept members of minority races on its medical staff. The hospital was located at Chicago Avenue at 22nd St. In 1990 it merged with Metropolitan Medical Center to become Metropolitan-Mount Sinai; in 1991 they closed their doors.
3.6 Cubic Feet (4 boxes (3 paige boxes, 1 1/2 Hollinger box))
Language of Materials
Following a push from the Jewish community post-World War II for a hospital that admitted practicing Jewish doctors, the Mount Sinai Hospital opened in Minneapolis in 1951 as the first non-sectarian hospital in the community to accept members of minorities on its medical staff. Led by a Board of Governors, the hospital eventually merged with Metropolitan Medical Center to become Metropolitan-Mt. Sinai before dissolving in 1991.
Materials are kept in original order, generally organized chronologically.
Source of acquisition
Materials donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest by the Board of Trustees of Mount Sinai Hospital Auxiliary.
- Mount Sinai Hospital records, 1945-1991
- Finding aid created by Kate Dietrick
- August 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.