Mount Sinai Hospital Auxiliary records
Scope and Content
Records include administrative materials such as correspondence, meeting minutes and financial statements of funds raised. Some administrative materials related to Mt. Sinai Hospital directly and not to the Auxiliary are also included. Newsletters include those directly from the Auxiliary as well as Mt. Sinai Hospital employee newsletters. Scrapbooks of news clippings and public relations surrounding the hospital are included, some of which are loose pages that were unbound from the scrapbook; many of the pages and clippings are in deteriorating condition and should be used with care. Photographs and slides are mostly of the building and construction
- Creation: 1945-1991
- Mount Sinai Hospital (Minneapolis, Minn.) Auxiliary (Organization)
Use of Materials
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives; please contact the archives for more detailed copyright information.
Mount Sinai Hospital, located at Chicago Avenue at 22nd St in Minneapolis, opened its doors in February 1951 with the aims to provide a place for Jewish physicians who had been denied admitting privileges at other city hospitals, making it the first private non-sectarian hospital in the community to accept members of minority races on its medical staff. The auxiliary was formed in 1950 to support the hospital. In their five-year review report, the Auxiliary illuminated their mission by saying: “When a group of people give a hospital to the City, their job is not finished, it has just begun. They must continue to work for the hospital. Their work is three fold: building good public relations between the hospital and the city, personal relations between its members, and giving service to the hospital both in funds and volunteer work. The Mount Sinai Women’s Auxiliary was formed by women who wanted to be a part of this program.” The group began by providing services such as a gift shop, coffee shop, beauty shop and baby photo services. Their annual fundraising balls and books sales were popular, and over its forty-one year history raised over one million dollars for the hospital. The auxiliary folded when the hospital merged with Metropolitan Medical Center and subsequently closed its doors in 1991.
8 Cubic Feet (8 Paige boxes)
Language of Materials
Mount Sinai Hospital opened in 1951 as a facility conceived and supported financially by Jewish donors in an effort to provide a place for Jewish physicians who were denied admitting privileges in other city hospitals. An auxiliary group primarily made up of women from the Jewish communities around the Twin Cities provided support through volunteering, publicity, and fundraising to aid the missions of the hospital.
The collection is divided into series:
Series 1: Administrative Records
Series 2: Newsletters
Series 3: Publicity Scrapbooks Series 4: Photographs and slides
Source of acquisition
Materials donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest by the Mount Sinai Hospital Auxiliary, represented by Roberta Cohen.
A large number of photographs related to the Mount Sinai Hospital Auxiliary can be found in the Sharron and Oren Steinfeldt Photograph collection (umja0017). View the finding aid here: http://purl.umn.edu/180450.
The collection was processed by the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest upon the deed of gift. We have kept their order of processing materials.
- Mount Sinai Hospital Auxiliary records, 1945-1991
- Finding aid created by Kate Dietrick
- October 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- March 2022: revised to include newly found materials
- August 2022: revised to include newly found materials
- December 2022: revised to include newly found materials