Sharron and Oren Steinfeldt Photography collection
Scope and Content
This collection is comprised entirely of photographs dating between 1860 and 2010 -- photos are in black and white and color, of varying dimensions. Some photographs are not original copies but photocopies; this information is reflected in the finding aid. Not all photographs included identification of what was in the photograph; these were put in general folders (i.e. Families and Groups, Marriages and Weddings, Street Scenes Minneapolis).
A number of photographs from this collection have been digitized; to view photographs, visit z.umn.edu/umjaphotos
Use of Materials
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room. Note that electronic records must be accessed on the designated computer in the reading room.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives; please contact the archives for more detailed copyright information.
Various single photos and small collections of photos were donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest over a period from 1984 to 2012. To bring all of the various photos together, JHSUM staff created one unified photo collection, named after Sharron and Oren Steinfeldt, long-time board members whose financial contribution allowed for the proper care for the collection.
29.65 Cubic Feet (67 boxes (53 Hollinger boxes, 14 oversize boxes))
Language of Materials
This collection was compiled by the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest and consists of photographs that were donated to the organization from various donors over time.
This collection is divided into series:
Series 1: Portraits
Series 2: Synagogues
Series 3: Organizations
Series 4: Businesses
Series 5: Buildings
Series 6: Jewish Ritual
Series 7: Miscellaneous
Series 8: Oversized
Source of acquisition
This collection is compiled of materials from various donors who gave materials to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest over various years; donor information is not reflected on the finding aid but can potentially be identified by UMJA staff. Please contact the archivist with questions.
A portion of the collection has been digitized and is available online. Please visit umedia.lib.umn.edu to view.
This collection was compiled by the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest over a period from 1984 to 2012. Various single photos or small collections of photos from donors were added to this collection and organized by JHSUM staff in 2012. The original series structure has been kept in tact; Series 1 (Portraits) was reprocessed by UMJA staff for further organization. Portraits are in single folders identified by the names written on the verso of the photograph; question marks next to names donate inaiblity to read handwriting identification.
- Jewish children Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish life and times Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Jewish men Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish merchants Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish religious schools Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish women Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph collections Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest (Organization)
- Sharron and Oren Steinfeldt Photography collection, 1860-2010
- Finding aid created by Kate Dietrick
- July 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- February 2023: updated to reflect newly donated materials
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Upper Midwest Jewish Archives Collecting Area