Helen and Sam Ziff papers
Scope and Content
This collection consists of correspondence and ephemera from the personal and professional lives of Helen and Sam Ziff. Materials include correspondence, pamphlets, programs, budget information, meeting minutes, newspaper clippings, booklets, certificates of achievement, and directories. The subjects covered illustrate the many organizations that Helen and Sam Ziff were involved with, including: Kenesseth Israel Congregation, the Jewish Community Relations Council (JCRC), Hillel, the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America (UOJCA), Talmud Torah, Hadassah, Minneapolis Federation for Jewish Service, and the Institute on Education for Smaller Communities. Materials are dated between 1933 and 2006
- Majority of material found within 1950-1980
- Ziff, Helen (Person)
- Ziff, Sam (Person)
Use of Materials
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives; please contact the archives for more detailed copyright information.
Helen Ziff, born in 1914, and Sam Ziff, born in 1907, were prominent in the Jewish community, involved with various social and religious organizations throughout Minneapolis. They had two children, Joel and Daniel Ziff. Helen passed away in 2003.
5.6 Cubic Feet (5 boxes- 4 Paige boxes, 1 oversize box)
Language of Materials
These papers document the personal and professional interests of Helen and Sam Ziff who were active in the Twin Cities Jewish community and worked with various organizations from social services non-profits to Jewish education schools to Zionist organizations.
This collection is arranged by subject of the materials, as listed below.
Source of acquisition
Donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest in 1990 by Helen Ziff.
- Jewish religious schools Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Orthodox Judaism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Orthodox Judaism -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Synagogues Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Talmud Torah (Judaism) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Zionism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Helen and Sam Ziff papers, 1933-2006
- Finding aid created by Kate Dietrick
- February 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- January 2023: Revised to add newly found materials
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Upper Midwest Jewish Archives Collecting Area