Hadassah, Grand Forks chapter records
Scope and Content
This collection consists of records dating between 1973 and 2006 and includes correspondence, meeting minutes and agendas, member lists, financial papers, bulletins, and ephemera related to planning events including fliers, ticket stubs, programs, press releases, and newspaper clippings. Awards, buttons, and magnets are also included.
Use of Materials
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives; please contact the archives for more detailed copyright information.
When Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America was founded in New York in 1912 Israel was not yet a state. Yet founder Henrietta Szold called for practical Zionism as she began proactive fundraising to meet the health needs of Palestine's people. Hadassah eventually grew to a nationwide social advocacy group engaging Jewish women to effect change in support for the people of Israel; currently there are 330,000 members and supporters nationwide.
The Grand Forks chapter of Hadassah is just one chapter of the group umbrellaed under the Hadassah Upper Midwest Region leadership. They began as the Shalom Group of Grand Forks of the Fargo chapter of Hadassah, but eventually became their own chapter, while continuing to work with chapters in Fargo, Minot, Minneapolis, and St. Paul. The Fargo chapter was active dating back to 1937, while the Grand Forks chapter can be traced to 1942.
1.5 Cubic Feet (2 boxes -- 1 Hollinger box, 1 Paige box)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of records related to the Grand Forks, North Dakota chapter of Hadassah, a women's Zionist organization.
Source of acquisition
Donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest in 1993 by Bertha Pulay in her role as President of Hadassah, Grand Forks chapter. Collection added to by other presidents, date unknown.
- Federations, Financial (social service) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fund raising Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish women Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Social service Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Zionism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hadassah, Grand Forks chapter records, 1973-2006
- Finding aid created by Kate Dietrick
- April 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- March 2017: Revised to include newly found materials.