Skip to main content

B'nai B'rith, Minot Lodge records

 Collection
Identifier: umja0041

Scope and Content

This collection consists of administrative materials for B'nai B'rith and the Sisterhood at Temple Beth Israel, dating between 1930 and 1947. This includes correspondence, meeting minutes, certificates, by-laws, membership information, and financial documents. Note that the original materials are severely water damaged -- all of them are discolored due to moisture. They have been vaccuumed and do not have live mold, but due to these conservation concerns, preservation photocopies have been added to the collection. When accessing the materials, the photocopies will be made available to researchers; the damaged originals may be accessed if proven necessary. See archivist for more details.

Dates

  • 1930-1947

Creator

Use of Materials

Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.

Copyright

Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives; please contact the archives for more detailed copyright information.

Historical Note

B'nai B'rith International has advocated for global Jewry and championed the cause of human rights since 1843. As the largest and oldest Jewish fraternal organization, by 1903 B'nai B'rith had a membership of over 30,000, with more than 330 lodges. The Minot Lodge, No. 842, was part of the Grand Lodge No. 6, based in Chicago, Illinois. The purpose of the organization, as stated in 1946, followed the mission "of uniting Israelites int he work of promoting their highest interests and those of humanity; of developing and elevating the mental and moral character of the people of our faith; of inculcating the purest principles of philanthropy, honor, and patriotism; of supporting science and art; alleviating the wants of the poor and needy; visiting and attending the sick; coming to the rescue of victims of persecution; providing for, protecting, and assisting the widow and orphan on the broadest principles of humanity." Membership was strictly extended only to men; although a women's group, B'nai B'rith Women (BBW) began in 1909 and worked hand in hand with B'nai B'rith International (BBI) for years, it was only in 1990 that BBI allowed women to join the organization. The Minot chapter, therefore, worked closely with the Sisterhood at Beth Israel.

B'nai B'rith International still follows the same mission of humanitarian aid and support for Israel. The North Dakota chapters now fall under the North Central Region. For more information, visit www.bnaibrith.org/north-central.html.

Extent

0.50 Cubic Feet (2 half Hollinger boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

This collection consists of administrative materials related to the Minot, North Dakota chapter of B'nai B'rith and its accompanying Sisterhood at Temple Beth Israel.

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in folders based on subject and date. Folders that say Copy are direct page-for-page copies of the originals in corresponding folders.

Source of acquisition

Donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest by Philip Greenberg
Title
B'nai B'rith, Minot Lodge records, 1930-1947
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid created by Kate Dietrick
Date
July 2015
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Upper Midwest Jewish Archives Collecting Area

Contact:

612-625-0192