Skip to main content

Hadassah, St. Paul chapter records

 Collection
Identifier: umja0043

Scope and Content

This collection consists of administrative materials for the St. Paul Hadassah chapter dating between 1930 and 2005. Materials include: meeting minutes, correspondence, event planning, clippings, press releases, bulletins, booklets, photographs, and scrapbooks that hold various ephemera related to chapter events.

Dates

  • 1930-2005

Creator

Use of Materials

Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.

Copyright

Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives; please contact the archives for more detailed copyright information.

Historical Note

When Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America was founded in New York in 1912, Israel was not yet a state. Yet founder Henrietta Szold called for practical Zionism as she began proactive fundraising to meet the health needs of Palestine's people. Hadassah eventually grew to a nationwide social advocacy group engaging Jewish women to effect change in support for the people of Israel; currently there are 330,000 members and supporters nationwide. Their mission as a volunteer organization is to inspire passion for and commitment to its partnership with the land and people of Israel.

The St. Paul chapter began when Henrietta Szold came to town to meet with an existing young women's group known as "The Lady Zionists." The chapter soon became part of the national Hadassah and were represnted at the first national conventinon in 1914. The group began as a study group, focusing upon education programs for members focusing on American and Zionist affairs and Jewish education. During the War years members sold defense bonds and worked with the local Red Cross to screen children for eye and ear defects. In 1934 Youth Aliyah began with the evacuation of German children. Local chairman Sylvia Peilen secured emergency funds and raised monies from local businessmen to help save Jewish children from Nazi Germany. Their fundraising events and outreach in the community over the years included rummage sales, Jewish holiday balls including their popular Purim balls, sewing projects, booths at the Minnesota State Fair, golf tournaments, literacy campaigns, and more. The St. Paul chapter often worked within the Upper Midwest Region umbrella, partnering with other local chapters in Minneapolis, Duluth, and other cities across Minnesota, North and South Dakota, and Wisconsin. By the late 1980s membership remained strong, with over 1400 local members. The chapter remains active: for more information, visit www.hadassah.org/regions/upper-midwest.

Extent

7.6 Cubic Feet (8 boxes -- 3 Paige boxes, 4 oversize boxes, 1 hollinger box)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

This collection consists of administrative records related to the Saint Paul, Minnesota chapter of Hadassah, a women's Zionist organization.

Arrangement

This collection is divided into series:

Series 1: Board materials and meeting minutes

Series 2: Chapter activities and events

Series 3: Scrapbooks and photographs

Source of acquisition

Materials donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest and the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives by Hadassah, St. Paul chapter presidents and members over time -- Eileen Garlick in 1988, Deborah Maude in 2002, and Sally Orren in 2013.
Title
Hadassah, St. Paul chapter records, 1930-2005
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid created by Kate Dietrick
Date
August 2015
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Revision Statements

  • March 2017: Revised to include newly found materials.

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Upper Midwest Jewish Archives Collecting Area

Contact:

612-625-0192