Skip to main content

National Council of Jewish Women, St. Paul section records

 Collection
Identifier: umja0048

Scope and Content

This collection consists of administrative materials dating between 1894 and 2005 and includes: meeting minutes (loose page and in ledger books), reports, directories, financial reports, correspondence, photographs, scrapbooks, bulletins and programs from local programs and national conventions, planning materials for local social service projects, local and national publications, and cassette tapes.

Dates

  • 1894-2005

Creator

Use of Materials

Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.

Copyright

Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives; please contact the archives for more detailed copyright information.

Historical Note

Founded in 1893, the National Council for Jewish Women is the oldest Jewish women's volunteer organization and the largest affiliate of the International Council of Jewish Women, which has over one million members in 34 countries. The National Council of Jewish Women is a volunteer organization that has been at the forefront of social change for over a century. Inspired by Jewish values, NCJW takes a progressive stance on issues such as child welfare, women's rights, and reproductive freedom. The St. Paul section, a charter member of NCJW, was also established in 1893 with Rachel Haas as the first president. The early years included organizing the Industrial School for Girls, which later evolved into the West Side Neighborhood House, and the establishment of a camp for children and their mothers in 1912. When NCJW merged with the Jewish Relief Society, the camp was renamed Lake Rest Vacation Home; in 1926 it was renamed Sophie Wirth Camp. In 1932 the St. Paul Maternal Health Center was established with financial assistance from NCJW; the center focused upon birth control for women, later becoming Planned Parenthood. Due to NCJW's commitment to children, the St. Paul section and St. Paul public schools have often worked together. In 1964 the McKinley Pre-School Project began, using NCJW volunteers as teachers' aids in an inner city school. This project served as a model for the Head Start Program. In 1979 the section was asked by the St. Paul schools to develop a curriculum for Southeast Asian refugees arriving in large numbers throughout the Twin Cities. TLC, Teaching Language Communication, was born from this, a well-received program for working with students for whom English is a second language.

Through the years NCJW continued to provide training, education, and shelter for young immigrant women, advocated for child labor laws, arranged child care for immigrant families, and provided services to help the disadvantaged. The St. Paul section often works in coalition with the Minneapolis section of NCJW as well as other organizations throughout the Twin Cities. The St. Paul section continues to thrive with over 600 members. For more information, visit their website at www.ncjwstpaul.org.

Extent

11.8 Cubic Feet (13 boxes -- 9 Paige boxes, 3 oversize boxes, 1 Hollinger box)

Language of Materials

English

Overview

This collection consists of administrative materials for the St. Paul, Minnesota section of the National Council of Jewish Women, a grassroots organization of volunteers and advocates, inspired by Jewish values, who strive for social justice.

Arrangement

This collection is divided into series:

Series 1: Board materials

Series 2: Projects

Series 3: Media and photographs

Series 4: Publications

Series 5: Scrapbooks

Source of acquisition

Donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest in 1995 by Co-President Elissa Getsug on behalf of the National Council for Jewish Women, St. Paul section; materials added to by fellow presidents over time.

Separated Materials

Further materials related to the National Council of Jewish Women, St. Paul section can be found at the Minnesota Historical Society (Collection #P3076). They have 0.25 cubic feet (1 box) of materials dating between 1935-1941 and 1995-2003. Contact the Minnesota Historical Society for further information.
Title
National Council of Jewish Women, St. Paul section records, 1894-2005
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid created by Kate Dietrick
Date
August 2015
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Upper Midwest Jewish Archives Collecting Area

Contact:

612-625-0192