William Hoffman papers
Scope and Content
These papers consist of William Hoffman's writing in the form of manuscripts of his books, columns in various newspapers, speaking engagements, awards recieved, and correspondence- including a letter from Norman Katkov. Also included is Marilyn Goffstein's agreement to use her line drawings in one of Hoffman's books, Tales of Hoffman. Materials from organizations Hoffman belonged to include meeting minutes and correspondence. One scrapbook from St. Paul's Central Community House includes newspaper clippings, programs, and photographs related to the social service organization. All materials in this collection date between 1925 and 1969.
- Hoffman, William, 1914-1990 (Person)
Use of Materials
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives; please contact the archives for more detailed copyright information.
William Hoffman grew up in the Jewish community in West St. Paul, and graduated from the University of Minnesota in 1935 with a major in journalism. After Hoffman served in the army from 1942-1946, he returned to social welfare work and the became the assistant director of the St. Paul and Ramsey County Dentention and Correction Authority. From 1957-1981 Hoffman published over four books, including Those Were The Days, Tales of Hoffman, Mendel, and West Side Story IIas well as contributing to the St. Paul Jewish News and American Jewish World newspapers, among others, with his column.
1 Cubic Feet (3 boxes -- 2 Hollinger boxes, 1 oversize box)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of the writings of William Hoffman which include manuscripts, speeches, and correspondence, as well as materials from organizations he belonged to, including the Central Community House and Neighborhood House.
Source of acquisition
Donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest in 1987 by William Hoffman.
Four of William Hoffman's titles can be found in the book collection of the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives: Those Were The Days, Tales of Hoffman, Mendel, and West Side Story II. To access these titles, please contact the archivist.
- Child welfare -- Minnesota -- Saint Paul. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Community centers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish authors -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish families Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish men Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minnesota Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Saint Paul Metropolitan Area (Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- William Hoffman papers, 1925-1969
- Finding aid created by Ashley Skwiera
- September 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- June 2022: revised to include newly found materials