Talmud Torah of Minneapolis records
Scope and Content
This collection contains the records of the Talmud Torah of Minneapolis from the early to late twentieth century. Documents include: financial reports, meeting minutes, newsletters, yearbooks, student and alumni work, journal articles, among other items. Materials are in both English and Hebrew. The materials are not comprehensive and there are numerous gaps.
- Creation: 1913-1993
- Talmud Torah of Minneapolis (Organization)
Use of Materials
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives; please contact the archives for more detailed copyright information.
The Talmud Torah of Minneapolis began in 1895 as a cheder (an old-world-style school for boys) in North Minneapolis called The Hebrew Free School. A few years later, the school moved to Kenesseth Israel synagogue, and again in 1911 to its own building. George Gordon initated the 1911 move along with leading other transformations to create a modern coeducational curriculum. Yiddish was abandoned as the teaching language in favor of Hebrew. Students learned about Jewish heritage and customs as well as religious foundations. In 1913 the name changed to The Talmud Torah of Minneapolis before moving again in 1915 to a building on Eighth and Fremont Avenue North in North Minneapolis, a space that would remain their home for almost forty years. In 1970 the classes moved to its St. Louis Park branch. Currently the Talmud Torah of Minneapolis is a 2nd-8th grade Jewish education program. At its peak, between 1993 and 1995, over 830 students were enrolled. Currently most of the students come from families affiliated with three Minneapolis-area Conservative synagogues: Adath Jeshurun, Beth El, and Sharei Chesed. For more information, visit their website at www.talmudtorahmpls.org.
4 Cubic Feet (5 boxes -- 3 Paige boxes, 1 oversize boxes, 1 Hollinger box -- and 2 custom enclosure volumes)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of documents relating to administration, students and alumni, and various events and clubs within the Talmud Torah of Minneapolis.
This collection is divided into series:
Series 1: Administrative records
Series 2: Students and alumni
Series 3: Events and organizations
Series 4: Miscellaneous
Source of acquisition
Donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest by Talmud Torah of Minneapolis
- Talmud Torah of Minneapolis records, 1913-1993
- Finding aid created by Ashley Skwiera
- October 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.