Gary Berman clippings collection
Scope and Content
This collection consists entirely of newspaper clippings pulled from various publications, dating between 1918 and 1947. Some clippings do not include dates or names of the publication they were taken from.
- Berman, Gary (Person)
Use of Materials
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives; please contact the archives for more detailed copyright information.
This collection of clippings was donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest in the mid-1990s. The clippings that Gary donated cover various organizations and people: Hadassah, B'nai B'rith, Judy Toy Company, Hary Segal (a young prizefighter/boxer), the Berman family, and Mike and David Weisman. Mike Weisman was charged with multipe charges throughout the 1920s -- first for bringing in whiskey by wholesale from Winnepeg, and later for conducting a "house of ill fame" or a "house of vice," both euphemisms brothels and houses of prostitution. Dave Weisman was convicted through testimony by Betty "Frenchy" Ryan for acting as a pay-off middleman for a "vice resort" and he was sent to prison in 1940. It is not clear why these topics were clipped by the donor.
0.40 Cubic Feet (1 Hollinger box)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of newspaper clippings from the 1920s-1940s related to Jewish families and organizations in Minnesota.
Source of acquisition
Donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest by Gary Berman in 1996.
- Brothels Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Prohibition -- United States -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Prostitution Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sex work (Prostitution) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gary Berman clippings collection, 1918-1947
- Finding aid created by Kate Dietrick
- March 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.