Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest media collection
Scope and Content
The materials in this collection were donated between 1984 and 2014; the materials on the media date betwen 1857 and 2014, although many are undated. Media types include: slides, negatives, CDs, DVDs, reel to reel film, videos (VHS and Beta), microfilm, cassette tapes, and audio records. The type of content that is on the media varies widely.
- Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest (Organization)
Use of Materials
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room. Some materials may be inaccessible in the reading room due to their format; contact the archivist before visiting to ensure you will be able to access materials.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives; please contact the archives for more detailed copyright information.
Various types of media, both single donations as well as small collections of media, were donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest over a period from 1984 to 2013. All materials were given to the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives in 2013.
11 Cubic Feet (16 boxes -- 6 Paige boxes, 3 Hollinger boxes, 5 CD boxes, 2 oversize boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of various types of media collected from various donors, given to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest between the years 1984 and 2013.
This collection is divided into series:
Series 1: Slides and Negatives
Series 2: CDs and DVDs
Series 3: Oral History CDs
Series 4: Reel to Reel Film
Series 5: Videos
Sub-series 1: VHS
Sub-series 2: Beta
Series 6: Miscellaneous
Sub-series 1: Microfilm
Sub-series 2: Cassette Tapes
Sub-series 3: Records
Source of acquisition
Donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest by various donors; donor information is not reflected in the finding aid but can potentially be indentified by UMJA staff. Please contact the archivist with questions.
This collection was compiled by the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest over a period from 1984 to 2014. The collection has been reprocessed into series by type of media. If the original donor is known, it is listed after the media; all titles of materials come directly from what was written on the media and may not represent the materials completely. Contact the archivist for further information on individual items.
- Jewish Americans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- North Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- Wisconsin Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest media collection, 1857-2014
- Finding aid created by Kate Dietrick
- November 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- April 2022: revised when Mount Sinai Hospital materials were pulled and added to Mount Sinai collection
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Upper Midwest Jewish Archives Collecting Area