Gedaliah Leib Congregation records
Scope and Content
This collection consists of materials dated between 1955 and 1973 and includes correspondence, member lists, financial documents, contracts, board meeting minutes, bulletins, programs, newsletters, press clippings, and Yahrzeit cards.
- Creation: 1955-1973
- Gedaliah Leib Congregation (Saint Paul, Minn.) (Organization)
Use of Materials
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Requests to publish should be arranged with the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives; please contact the archives for more detailed copyright information.
The Gedaliah Leib Congregation was an Orthodox congregation in St. Paul, Minnesota that was in existance from 1955 to 1973 as a result of merging Sons of Moses and Sons of Abraham. The Congregation Sons of Abraham began in 1889 in St. Paul, residing in quarters on Payne Avenue and Whithall Street. In 1910 they purchased a building at 10th and Minnesota, which was the original site of Mount Zion Temple. Services were conducted at this location until 1945. In late 1954 the Sons of Abraham merged with Sons of Moses. Sons of Moses began during the early 1900s; their building was at the corner of 13th and Canada Streets and land was acquired for a cemetery. In 1927 a fire destroyed the building; two Torah scrolls were saved. A new building was erected and in 1948 funds were raised to pay off the mortgage and repair the cemetery. In 1952 the government took over the land and the Congregation began looking for a new location, eventually leading to the merger. Gedaliah Leib was created and resided at 789 Holly (the old Mount Zion Temple building) under Rabbi Benjamin Silman. In 1973 the building was sold and the Congregation folded. Money was given to Sons of Jacob to take Yartzeit markers and torahs, and many remaining members joined Sons of Jacob.
1.3 Cubic Feet (3 boxes -- 2 letter-size Hollinger boxes, 1 legal-size Hollinger box)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of records from the Gedaliah Leib Congregation, an Orthodox congregation that was in existence from 1955 to 1973 in St. Paul, Minnesota.
This collection is arranged by subject, folders listed below.
Source of acquisition
Donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest by Gedaliah Leib Congregation
- Gedaliah Leib Congregation records, 1955-1973
- Finding aid created by Kate Dietrick
- January 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.