Marilyn Chiat papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of various resource materials including correspondence, conference bulletins and programs, newspaper articles and clippings, photocopies of articles, photographs, slides, and cassette tapes with interviews.
- Majority of material found in 1970s-1990s
- Chiat, Marilyn J. (Person)
- Prochan, Chester (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
The majority of the research in the Marilyn Chiat papers has to do with the publication of We Rolled Up Our Sleeves: A History of the United Jewish Fund and Council of Saint Paul and its Beneficiary Agencies, which was published in 1985. The publication aimed to to document the development of the Saint Paul Jewish community and how the United Jewish Fund and Council and its beneficiary organizations developed and supported the Jewish communities throughout Saint Paul. The project, headed by Marilyn Chiat and Chester Prochan, pulled from their University of Minnesota research on Jews in the Upper Midwest.
At the time of publication, Marilyn Chiat was an adjunct member of the faculty in the Program in Ancient Near Eastern and Jewish Studies and the Center for Ancient Studies at the University of Minnesota. Chester Prochan was pursuing a PhD in American Studies at the University of Minnesota. Both Chiat and Prochan worked together on another project, the Project to Document Early Jewish Settlers in Minnesota.
6 Cubic Feet (6 boxes -- 4 Paige boxes, 1 cassette tape box, 1 oversize box)
Language of Materials
This collection consists mostly of the research papers of Marilyn Chiat that were used for the publication of We Rolled Up Our Sleeves: A History of the United Jewish Fund and council of Saint Paul and its Beneficiary Agencies, which was published in 1985. Personal papers and general research papers are also included.
Organization of the Collection
This collection is organized into series:
- Correspondence, 1933-2007
- Lectures and Conferences, 1975-2003
- General research, 1870-2010
- Media, 1924-2012
- General personal materials, 1940s-2000
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest by Marilyn Chiat. Further materials donated by Marilyn Chiat to the Upper Midwest Jewish Archives in 2021.
- Jews -- Charities. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- Minnesota -- Saint Paul -- Charities Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- Minnesota -- Saint Paul -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Saint Paul (Minn.) -- Ethnic relations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marilyn Chiat papers, 1870-2020
- Kate Dietrick
- August 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- April 2018: revised to include newly uncovered materials
- January 2022: revised to include newly donated materials
- August 2022: revised to include newly donated materials
- February 2023: Revised to add newly found materials
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Upper Midwest Jewish Archives Collecting Area